We are in desperate need of more video reviews. Anyone game?

Markw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.outsidetherainbow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all. I dont know about anyone else, but I know that I would be so much happier if I could find some more video reviews of products. Video reviews really allow you to see how large something is, tell how it really handles, and just get a much better visual 'feel' of the object than seeing it on a white background with nothing to compare it to. Even photos with it sitting next to a camera can be misleading. If I sat my Sigma 10-20mm next to a D3000, then next to a D3x, the lens would look way larger next to the D3000/40 than next to the D3x. Its a thing of proportion that is hard to really grasp unless one has had experience with every camera model from every company (when dealing with 3rd party lenses). Video reviews allow a real photographer to give you an extensive lineup of real-life experiences and advice as to the piece of equipment at hand instead of reading "I just got the lens out of the box and I love it! So much better than the kit lens! (Rates 5 stars)".

So, my point is, more video reviews are desperately needed, especially for the third party brands and almost all accessories covering all fields and brand names. If anyone would be interested in this, I have a few things that I would love to see..mainly from Sigma. Im sure others would like to see certain things as well. If we could get something going about this, Im sure it would benefit not only the forum population, but the overall photography comunity greatly.

Is anyone game?

Mark

I'd be game - but I lack the 7D to let me make videos :(

One thing I will say is that I hate review/tutorial videos where its clear the person hasn't practised the whole thing at least 3 times before doing the main video recording. Pauses and uncertainty in a video is very off putting and makes the reviewer look like they don't know what they are on about.

You could make them with a video camera if you had one. :)

Id love to see one on that 150 Siggy you have in your sig. :thumbsup::mrgreen:

Mark

froknowsphoto.com has lots of quirky video reviews of mostly Nikon, but now canon also products. Light hearted but pretty honest too, they do reviews bags and straps with hands on experience and often some demos of pictures taken with gear.

I would totally do this... if I had anything like a good range of gear or access to new things regularly. I could always talk to my local camera shop, but I'm not really known there or anything so I doubt that'd fly.

Sadly the only camera type gear I have is my 400D :( :)
though a review of the 150mm would give me an excuse to blow the dust of it ( yah its my second least used lens at the moment !! !! )

Yeah, I saw how the fro reviewed the new 55-300. Pulled it out of the box, and said it smelled like crap because it didnt have the aroma of a 2.8 constant aperture, sat it down, and told everyone not to buy it without even putting it on the camera. I wouldnt trust the fro with anything besides the top quality gear because thats what he likes..and is quite biased on everything else. I dont mean for this to start a debate on the fro because he seems like a quite intelligent person, but I still dont really want to go through all that.

If you were interested, it would be great if you could list your photo gear to see if anyone wanted a review of specific gear that you might have, even if its not the best gear. I cant find video reviews on some of Sigma's most notorious lenses. Youd be surprised what isnt out there..

Mark

@Overread: Id gladly take that baby right off yourhands. Id love to have that lens. I have the 105 and I love it, but Id still love to have the 150. We could trade. :)

A review of it would be epic to see! :thumbsup:
Mark

Pretty much just a D90 with 18-55 and 55-200 kit lenses, plus the 35mm 1.8

What about software? I know I'm in the minority for using Aperture, but when I get a range of stuff I could even show process and the like, I know some guys already doing this (which I've learnt a lo from).

And for the Fro, you really gotta take it from his point of view, and he always states his position on the gear he's looking at, yeah eh can be a little grating sometimes, but it's nice to see a personality and not just a bunch of silly stills and monotone voice.

I think the Fro said the 55-300 is crap because how much it costs compared to what you are getting. Mainly how bad it is in low light. And the video is called a preview not review. :er: And I think it would be cool if people would request reviews and others doing it for them.

I can always ask about doing some review type stuff, if we want to work out a blog type thing, but like I said, I'm unknown and haven't/won't buy gear from them for a while (cash issues, plus a baby = no expensive stuff)

Well, Id love to see a review on both the Sigma 150 and 180mm Macros, the Tamron 200-500mm, Sigma 150-500mm and Sigma 50-500mm (nonOS).

Those are just a few that I would love to see..

Mark

@Overread: Id gladly take that baby right off yourhands. Id love to have that lens. I have the 105 and I love it, but Id still love to have the 150. We could trade. :)

A review of it would be epic to see! :thumbsup:
Mark

Well, Id love to see a review on both the Sigma 150 and 180mm Macros, the Tamron 200-500mm, Sigma 150-500mm and Sigma 50-500mm (nonOS).

Those are just a few that I would love to see..

Mark

Well I wouldn't expect any more major reviews of the 180mm as its out of production now and the 150mm now has a new version (announced but no price/released date set yet as far as I know) with OS.
So expect the 150mm market to undergo abit of a price change - could go either way though depending on if they continue to produce the regular or not. If they keep production up prices will drop - whilst if they stop production the price will creep up as shops run out of stock. That said I expect the used market to get hit with a slew of 150mm as people jump for OS :)*

* provided of course that it makes for a good upgrade and the price isn't too high ;)

That does sound awfully exciting! Too bad itll most likely be $1k+ and nowhere near in my budget. :lol:. I will get either the old 150 or a 180, though. I have some deciding to do. Id still love to see a video. :wink:

Mark

Video reviews are great for physical appearance but not so great for photo test. I come from a background of shooting Nikon, so I already know what to expect when they say explain size, weight and handling of a new body or lens. What I look at are the detail specs and the sample images giving by the review. Video review on the other hand are only based on what the reviewer are saying, there's no sample images and they never give detail specs on the camera or lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back