8-15mm f/4 Fish Eye: Price and why the f4?

BLD_007

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So there is a new lens coming out. The cannon 80 15mm fish eye f/4,

Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Fisheye Ultra-Wide 4427B002 -

Why is it at f/4? You would think they would at least make it a 2.8.

That is the only turn off for me is that is it is a f/4. I shoot in low lighting and really need something 2.8 or wider. If anything, for the shallow depth of field.

2nd question, what do you all think the price will be and when it will be release?

Thanks!

P.S. I hate high ISO

would probably cost too much -.-
just a guess

probably very complicated to create a zoom lens 8-15mm focal length at f/2.8

A one stop difference in aperture is going to have very little difference in DoF on a lens like this. A regular 12mm lens with a camera to subject distance of 25' will have a DoF of about 5' to infinity at f4; at f2.8 it will be about 6'6" to infinity. IMO, definitely NOT worth the extra cost and the huge increase in size required to produce a constant f2.8.

Why f/4? I guess it depends on the target market.

I would see this being used mainly by urban shooters, landscapers and so on. I dont see this as a staple lens for wedding and portrait shooters.

Landscapers use tripods and often seek higher f/ stops.

Urban shooters seek portability, and an f/2.8 will be heavier.

Probably totally way off, but those are my thoughts with my limited cafeine intake today

Also, it doesnt look like there is much (if any) perspective change between 8mm and 15mm. It seems its a single static fisheye image that is either zoomed in or zoomed out to properly fit a crop sensor or full frame:

I don't know the mechanics of how this lens was built, but it's probably complicated and expensive to get even f/4 at that focal range for a full frame camera.

Last edited by a moderator:
So there is a new lens coming out. The cannon 80 15mm fish eye f/4,

Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Fisheye Ultra-Wide 4427B002 -

Why is it at f/4? You would think they would at least make it a 2.8.

That is the only turn off for me is that is it is a f/4. I shoot in low lighting and really need something 2.8 or wider. If anything, for the shallow depth of field.

2nd question, what do you all think the price will be and when it will be release?

Thanks!

P.S. I hate high ISO
I remember seeing somewhere that the price will be roughly twice the cost of the current ef-15mm FE. The f/4 was likely a limitation of the lens design. I have the current 15mm FE and couldn't be happier with the sharpness of the shots, but the focus motor is a bit noisy.

..at least make it a 2.8.

at least a 2.8? are u kidding me. U know how expensive and huge that lens would be. It will not be practical at all. Also, at 8mm even a 2.8 wont give you much bokeh.

Here is a link to a photo of a Nikon 6 mm F/2 fisheye. It's mounted on a SLR.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/speciallenses/images/6mmexoticfisheye.jpg

There was a used one sold not to long ago on eBay. It sold for something like $14,000 USD.

This is why it's a f/4 and not a f/2.8

..at least make it a 2.8.

at least a 2.8? are u kidding me. U know how expensive and huge that lens would be. It will not be practical at all. Also, at 8mm even a 2.8 wont give you much bokeh.

This is why it's a f/4 and not a f/2.8
the 15mm fisheye is a 2.8. Just sayin.....
they could make it a 2.8-4 if they wanted too.

Most reactions

Back