weather concerns

quiddity

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Can my new toy Nikon D50 + Tokina 11-16 lens be exposed to snow / rain?

How concerned do I need to be with cold weather.

Thanks

Snow isn't too bad, as long as things are cold enough that it doesn't melt - the rain is not such a good idea. I'd suggest investing in a 'rain coat' for your camera. A quick down to your camera store should get you what you need ('though I have been known to make use of a supermarket plastic vegetable bag on one or two occasions!).

('though I have been known to make use of a supermarket plastic vegetable bag on one or two occasions!).

Nothing says "I'm not here to show of the goods" like a large plastic bag duct taped to your camera body and lens with a few holes for the eye piece and key controls. :lol: It ain't pretty but it works to the point where I keep a bag and a small roll of electrical tape in my camera pack.

I did an autocross shoot all bagged up in the rain, worked well.

But yeah, cold and snow, I wouldn't worry too much, just watch for moderate to heavy rain.

Nothing says "I'm not here to show of the goods" like a large plastic bag duct taped to your camera body and lens with a few holes for the eye piece and key controls. :lol:

This makes me laugh. Bet it is even better when you punch 3 holes in a big black garbage bag and throw it over yer head and arms :thumbup:,

My friend left her camera (D80) in the car when it was only about -3 out and the screen on it cracked. I've been worried about taking mine out in the cold, it's -10c or even colder here but from what I've read it shouldn't be a problem. I think if you are not changing temps to quickly it should be ok. Be careful when you bring your camera indoors, as condensation may form on the camera during a cold-to-warm transition. I try to keep mine in a bag in between going in/out to help minimize this. Also batteries will not last as long under cold weather.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back