Web hosting recommendations

Berter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hey all, im wanting to launch a website that im building using dreamweaver. im wondering if anyone could recommend a hosting company? ive done some reading on a few of them but am just not sure, they all seem to have all sorts of features and website/page developers and stuff that they want you to use. does anyone know of a company where u can just upload your site to their servers without having to use all the other crap they offer? or could i just buy my own server and do it that way??

GoDaddy. You'll get setup with an FTP login and simply upload your files to your site. Get a decent FTP program like FileZilla. It's easy to use when you want to post your whole site, or just want to upload a page or two that you have changed. You just need to decide if you want to go with Linux or Windows hosting.

I've been using HostGator for years and have been very happy with them.

HostGator is decent and I've used them in the past.

NetNation is is good if you want something more professional. They offer managed hosting and dedicated servers. This would be the closest you should come to having your own server (unless you have the knowledge and $$ to do it yourself). A dedicated server may be a little overkill for you though.

You have a lot of options.

- Find a hosting provider that offers share hosting. It is easier to have a web hosting control panel. Typically they cost around $10 a month with MySQL support (if needed). The hosting control panel (cPanel is the popular one) may allow you to setup email accounts as well.

- Find a hosting provider that offers virtual server. It can be a cloud server. For you, it doesn't really matter since it make no difference for you. With that, you virtual machine is hosted inside a physical machine and share the hardware resourse with others such as memory and processors. (It depends on the hypervisor, some hypervisor allocate the memory permarnantly to each virtual machines). With the virtual machine, you can install your own stuff. The virtual instance is all yours. (Prices maybe around 30 - 40 bucks or more a month, it depends on your configuration)

- Find a hosting provider that offers dedicated server. Pretty much like the virtual server, but in dedicated server, hardware resources are not share with other people. Price varies depends on the type of hardware. Usually starting around 100 bucks a month.

- Find a hosting provider that offers co-location. You basically ship a server to them and they host that for you. They basically charge you for the space, power and network connectivity. It varies from place to place.

Note: If you do not want to setup, configure and manage the server, share hosting is a better options. (Don't forget you may or may not need to pay additional license if you using a virtual, dedicated or co-location machine)

What part of the world are you in? Recommedations like these can be often be more useful if we know where you're located.

im in michigan. has anyone used eNom? i was reading about some of the stuff that google offers (domains, not hosting) and it said that google sells domains through eNom, which offers hosting. going through google u can use gmail and google apps which i like. what do you think?

fatcow.com

3.67 a month for hosting - unlimited
I host the main pages of mr website there, never a problem in may years, great service
I then use Zenfolio for my galleries and online sales shopping carts, proofing etc etc

I vowed to never give GoDaddy another cent after their support of SOPA and the way they initially responded to people's criticism of it.

Godaddy sucks balls. I used them for a while and I had nothing but problems with server reliability. I now use justhost.com and have had very few issues.

Just my two cents on this. If you need a free site, with NO advertising or banners, but still want php, sql, and cpanel support, try Free Web Hosting with PHP, MySQL and cPanel, No Ads it's free, so it doesn't get any better then that for a startup site. I'm not connected to it, so this isn't an ad or anything. :lol:

I have recommended it to some friends that use it, and they love it. You get 1 ftp account, 5 email accounts, 1500mb disk space and 100gb transfer. Great for a startup site. If you get too big somewhere down the line, you can just move your site to another host.

Most reactions

Back