Webhosting?

Luxowell

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Well, I was gonna go with GoDaddy, but I've read some less than awesome remarks about their service.
I'm looking to setup my website to be a place for clients to see some of the wedding and event photography I've done in the past, get info on pricing, and also wanted to make (for an extra fee) a place where for, say, one month, clients can give out a link to friends and families that allow them access to 25-50 full size retouched photos.
For that last reason, I'm thinking I might need a relatively good amount of bandwidth.
So... suggestions?

I use lunarpage for my web hosting, I haven't experience any downtime yet, their phone support is acceptable, but their email or web support are great and always very helpful should you have any questions. check them out and see if that works for you.

http://www.lunarpages.com

Thinkhost all the way!

I just got a website in December, and after lots of deliberation, my designer and I decided on Thinkhost. Fair prices, amazing service, and everything is run on solar and wind power!

There is a prediction that by 2010, half of the world's electricity will be used by the internet.

Just so you know.... I am a web designer and have about a dozen websites. I am also experienced with php and a few other scripting languages and I can tell you that the best hosting service around to my knowledge as far as money, support, pricing etc.... is 1and1.com.

www.1and1.com

trust me, i can tell you this for 100% certainty.

I have had GoDaddy for almost 4 years now and I have never had a problem with them. the customer service is awesome and i host several sites with them. I have used 1and1 and they have been nothing but a pain. Some people love then but i hate 1and1

Most publications have 1and1 rated number 1. I agree with that assessment. But what do i know.:)

I think most of us could find both good and bad comments or experiences about any hosting service. Different strokes for different folks.

I use DreamHost, the overall experience according to most reviews are good. I have been with them since 2005 which is a good chunk of time. They have multiple clusters of servers, so you are not using one box for everything. Like most hosts, they have panel software, email, mysql, ftp, and all that running on one box which is very load intense.

I also only paid twenty some odd dollars for my first years of hosting.

Check them out at www.DreamHost.com and get some coupons at http://dh-promo-codes.dreamhosters.com/?gclid=CJuqi56ltpICFQY_agod_CmXvQ

On the topic of 1 and 1, I agree with bellacat, I used them for two months and dropped them like bad a bad habit years ago.

I have used all of the following hosts;
Resiware (Out of business)
1 and 1
GoDaddy
Lunar Pages
Blue Host
Site 5
Yahoo
Host Monster (Same company as Blue Host.)
Inmotion
SiteGround
Host Gator (Which is fighting to stay alive.)

The only one that is not DreamHost that I would even come CLOSE to recommending to anyone (including people I hate) is Yahoo.

rooky.. I'm looking for someone to do my photography site for me for awhile now. I have been film for years and have just recently switched over to the digital world and I am.. well not so computer literate. :er: Do you have some of your sites that I can view??

I am flattered that you would ask me that. And I'm sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I didn't even realize that I had a posting. Anyway, to answer your question...

I'd be more than happy for you to view some of my work, but I doubt that I'd be the right choice to design a website for you. When I said that I was a web designer, I am really a web nerd mostly. I am actually a very good web designer, but it's more a personnal hobby. I have only made about 5 or 6 for anyone else. But I have several of my own and love putting one up and then changing it and then I enjoy making it better. Now, I would be more than happy to help you with anything you need and would be more than happy to help you get a site up. But paying me is out of the question.

Now if you want to pay someone to put a site up for you, then I am sure you will find a good designer to do that for you, but if you just want a site to show off your photos, then that is something with some help, you could do yourself. You are welcome to pm me and I will help you anyway I can.

And besides, there are several areas of web design and to be quite honest with you. Most people have strengths and weaknesses when it comes to doing it. RARELY does anyone possess strong skills in every area for a veriety of reasons. Some people are good with graphics, some with xhtml, some with coding...etc... Now granted, some people think they are great doing it all, but that's usually not the case. Thats the advantage a design firm has over an individual freelance web designer. I'm pretty good with a lot of areas myself but my strength is PHP/MySql server side scripting. Thats the same scripting language most of this forum is written in.

Well anyway, send me a pm and I'll help with what I can. Talk to you later.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back