Website for stock photo

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello.

I want to do some stock photography.
I want to make some photos of vegetables and other stuff, household things, the
kind of things that will be used for a webdesigns and blogs for example.

Basicly I want to put out some stock photos for free download, to whomever might like them.
Do you think that for getting people to download my stock photos, which would generate the most downloads:
a site at wordpress, or an account at facebook? (or something else ?)

I don't use facebook, and I dont know anybody using facebook.
I know about wordpress, and I like it. But where will I get the best (most) exposure?

Thanks
/Jacob

Content on facebook doesn't index well on search engines, so it's very unlikely to be found by someone looking for it. Wordpress is simple and optimizes well for searching, but at the end of the day, no matter how good your 'site, you are competeing with millions of others out there doing the same or a similar thing. Out of curiosity, why do you want to offer free stock images to people?

Even free stuff has to be worth the "effort" to download. With all the other free stuff available, people will be looking for not only the "right image", but one that is expertly composed, well focused, properly exposed, and large enough to make it worth their time. If it's that good, then you might as well be paid for it.

Thank you all for the response..

Well I am no pro, so I don't even want to pretend to be one.
Also I like to find free things I might use myself.
Also - Give Back to the community, etc.
I was now thinking about if the best would be to make my own site.

.. and that brings me back to the original question;

What kind of site will you suggest.

I just want to train in stock/still-life, so I guess that giving away the pictures will put me in a position
where I don't have to have success, I will learn by training and will have only a little commitmend in a site.
If it is a flop, then I can just take it offline, and no harm is done, ..
not to my own pride, and not to people who can not find the page suddenly.
Honestly I hope that free stocks will generate more people using my pictures.

But - what kind of site do you folks think will suit best?

Thanks again..
Jacob

I would suggest using a WordPress framework with one of the many photo-specific templates that are available. It's relatively easy to put together, and has excellent SEO.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back