Wedding options

pecco22

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have been doing second shooter work for a well know photog in my area. He has given me great help. I am here to ask your opinion on some of what he has taught me. He has asked me to use a wide open aperture, lower ISO to 50 and increase High speed sync to get the proper exposure. I was using a smaller aperture (f8-14), 200 ISO and 1/250th shutter speed to get the exposure where I wanted it. I understand his point is to make the background blurry and make the subject stand out more. But I notice that I dont get nearly as sharp of a picture because of the wide aperture. Not sure whether this is the way I should be shooting or not. I understand photography is an art and it all about shooting it the way you want it to appear, but I'm not sure which way is better. any thoughts of other help.

if your working for another photographer, you should do things the way that they want it done. whether it is the way YOU would shoot it, or will shoot it when you are on your own isn't really relevant. I'm not sure what kind of photography you are doing, but in weddings and portraits, we almost never shoot wide open. you can always take some test shots different ways and present them to the other photographer for comparison, and ask about the differences. in the end though, the main photographer usually sets the shooting criteria.

^^^ this.

When you're a second, your ideas are cool and everything, but always needs to be subjugated to the request of the lead. As a second, you're an employee first and a photographer second, IMO.

A wide open aperture is not the only factor that determines the DoF. Fast prime lenses often have focus sharpness issues when used wide open, but perform well when stopped down 2 stops or so. So a f/1.4 prime can be stopped down to f/2.5. Many fast zoom lenses deliver sharp focus wide open if their widest aperture is f/2.8.
No doubt, pro grade lenses usually perform better wide open than consumer grade prime lenses.

Selective focus (shallow DoF) is just one of several ways to separate the subject from the background.

When using strobed light (flash) the lens aperture controls the strobed light exposure, and the shutter speed controls the ambient light exposure. You mention HSS. A wider aperture requires less power output from the flash unit A faster shutter speed can be used to reduce the ambient light exposure.

Like what was said before, do what the primary says. It's their show.

That being said. Most lenses don't operate at their peak performance at the widest (smallest number) aperture. Most lenses work best, with the best image quality, fewest aberrations and most sharpness, a few stops from the widest. You seem to understand that a wide open aperture will only allow a narrow DOF plane.

You could bring this up to the primary shooter, this could be a style choice or the primary could be impressed and give you more leeway.

thanks for all of your input. I plan on doing it his way because I am sure I will learn from it. I was just curious if you all felt his way was correct or not.

thanks for all of your input. I plan on doing it his way because I am sure I will learn from it. I was just curious if you all felt his way was correct or not.

"correct" is somewhat subjective. if the main photog does it that way because his clients like the final product...then it is correct. but what works for him and his clients may or may not work for you and your clients.

"correct" is somewhat subjective. if the main photog does it that way because his clients like the final product...then it is correct. but what works for him and his clients may or may not work for you and your clients.

I agree, nothing is correct in photography, it would seem everyone has their own taste and style.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back