Wedding Owl Composite per request !

stpierre87

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Good friends of mine approached me about shooting there wedding. While discussing the shot list with them the bride shows me a composite picture of a wedding party running from a T-Rex. First she asked if I was capable of such and image with which I was semi sure I could pull off. I told her that I wouldn't do a dinosour but would figure something else out. I don't usually like to recreate other peoples photos and ideas but she asked and I took it on as a challange. Having seen all my images and also being a good friend she put her trust in me. Taking the image was fairly simple althought the sky could have been better. After a little while composing the sky and removing two houses and a landscaping company truck ( there was no better angle for this shot at our location ) I had to figure out what would go best attacking them. They are close friends so I knew about there obsession with owls and there it was. Just looking for other peoples thoughts ?

$Owl TPF (1 of 1).jpg

Not really working for me. I can't wrap my head around it, so my brain can't suspend my disbelief long enough to enjoy it.

First, I don't understand the reasoning for the faded tail and wing. It stops the illusion dead.

Second, a giant owl attacking humans doesn't make sense to me either. I saw the T-rex chasing a wedding party shot you mentioned, and it was fun because it makes sense because it's a big animal that would have attacked humans, and we've already been mentally conditioned to let our imaginations run with that imagery from the Jurassic Park movies. But an owl? Scratch that - a GIANT owl? Not doing it for me. Sorry.

The faded wing and tail was sopose to some what simulate it coming threw the clouds. As for the Owl is a creature that they enjoy. I see you point about the whole Jurassic Park thing but refused to duplicate someone else's image. Thanks for the insight.

I think what bothers me about the composition is that they are chasing the owl, ergo, why is it a threat to them? The reason that the T-rex shot worked was because they were running FROM the T-rex, and in this case they're running toward the owl.

I think what bothers me about the composition is that they are chasing the owl, ergo, why is it a threat to them? The reason that the T-rex shot worked was because they were running FROM the T-rex, and in this case they're running toward the owl.
Re-read OP's explanation for the faded tail and wing. Calculating for distance back to the clouds and the 42mm lens used, it's an owl with a wingspan several miles wide (or more).

I get the size aspect of it (I'd already done the math; I came out with about a 7000' wingspan give or take), but it's just its perspective in relation to the crowd. Why would you run TOWARD a giant owl???? (Or did I mis-understand your post?)

I get the size aspect of it (I'd already done the math; I came out with about a 7000' wingspan give or take), but it's just its perspective in relation to the crowd. Why would you run TOWARD a giant owl???? (Or did I mis-understand your post?)
Those type of clouds are typically 6500-20,000 feet in the air. At that height, with the 42mm lens, the clouds are miles behind the crowd. Ergo the owl flying out of those clouds is also behind the crowd, and HUGE. Ergo, they can't be running toward it.

I get the relative position and size thing, but regardless, it LOOKS (to me at least) like the crowd is chasing the owl.

Why not try a Hitchcockesque scence where they are running from a flock? (wtf is the name for a group of owls??) Of owls. It would make more sense to me personally.

Perspective wise is don't see them running towards it, at all. I did make the photo though so I'm going to have my own perspective. In no way did I do any math to exactly what the size of the owl should be in comparrison to the people. The clouds started off as a single small cloud, yet again with no intenstion of what clouds they were and how high they usually are. I knew I wanted to make it a huge owl attacking the wedding party. The clouds started off as a single small cloud, yet again with no intenstion of what clouds they were and how high they usually are. I feel as if I were to make the owl a appropriate size in relation to the wedding party but yet still makeing it a "giant" owl then it would have just got lost in the sky as a little owl. I see both your points but never thought of actually doing the math.

Never though of creating a "flock" of owls. Do owls "flock" together ?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back