Wedding photographers preferred camera gear

ecphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I wan't to eventually become a wedding photographer, probably not for a few years while I learn more and acquire more gear.
My big question is for people that currently are pro photographers.
What do you prefer to shoot with and why?

I'm not trying to incite a canikon fight, I just want to know what people like for that niche in the photography field.

Brand isn't important. You'll want FX bodies (2) and good glass. Easy.

I like prime lenses... 35, 50, 85... Probably a 70-200 2.8 in there too, but that would be the only zewm lenz.

I'm looking for good surgical tools too, might decide to get some business in the operating room
bigthumb.gif

5D mark 2, 1d mark iii and 7D were my lineup until I sold my 5d2. I will upgrade it to the 5d3 this year.
70-200 f/2.8 OS Sigma and 28-75 f/2.8 Tamron are my primary lenses.
My back ups are a Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 LD Di IF macro and Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 are my backup lenses
I also carry a 50mm f/1.8 and a couple other lenses
Flashes-Sigma 530DG Super for my primary which I am REALLY considering upgrading to a 580EX II as my primary.
I have several other speedlights ranging from OLD canon flash guns to sigma to even some nikon gear. You can use any speedlight off camera with a trigger setup.
I carry with me several gorilla pods to put speedlights on off camera, some justin clamps for the same use.
Manfrotto tripod with a ball head. I couldn't tell you the models off hand
I think that is my MAIN gear. A bunch of assorted other crap.

I shoot with a Nikon D300 as my main, D200 as backup which I will be upgrading to the D700 in August saving for it now, 12-24mm f4, 24-70mm 2.8, 70-200mm 2.8, 18-200mm 3.5 as a backup, 105mm 2.8 for still shots of bride's accessories, and a 50mm 1.8. At some point I'd like to upgrade the 12-24 to the 2.8 version but it's down the road want the full frame body first. Also have a sb800 and sb900.

www.sandraadamson.com www.sandraadamson.blogspot.com

I wan't to eventually become a wedding photographer, probably not for a few years while I learn more and acquire more gear.
My big question is for people that currently are pro photographers.
What do you prefer to shoot with and why?

I'm not trying to incite a canikon fight, I just want to know what people like for that niche in the photography field.

D700 w/ 24-70 sb900 is a primary set.
Backup d300s w/ 28-105 sb800 backup.
Nikon 70-200 and/or 85 prime goes on Fx body when looking for something specific.
Tokina fisheye goes on Fx body to get fisheye view w/ a vignette.
2ABs 800 w/ or w/o color gels as room lights.
If I'm with an assistant then Quantum 2d off-camera light (more expensive and heavy on the pocket if brakes). If I'm w/o an assistant, then sb600 is off-camera (not as expensive as quantum so if gets knocked down I won't cry....a lot....)
One of the studios I shoot for, also uses Nikon. I often use his Tamron 17-50 on d700 - good quality image but with vignette.

5D mark 2, 1d mark iii and 7D were my lineup until I sold my 5d2. I will upgrade it to the 5d3 this year.
70-200 f/2.8 OS Sigma and 28-75 f/2.8 Tamron are my primary lenses.
My back ups are a Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 LD Di IF macro and Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 are my backup lenses
I also carry a 50mm f/1.8 and a couple other lenses
Flashes-Sigma 530DG Super for my primary which I am REALLY considering upgrading to a 580EX II as my primary.
I have several other speedlights ranging from OLD canon flash guns to sigma to even some nikon gear. You can use any speedlight off camera with a trigger setup.
I carry with me several gorilla pods to put speedlights on off camera, some justin clamps for the same use.
Manfrotto tripod with a ball head. I couldn't tell you the models off hand
I think that is my MAIN gear. A bunch of assorted other crap.

You say you can use Nikon with Canon if your using a trigger? Do they communicate or do you have to set everything manually?

Currently what I shoot with at weddings:

1 Mamiya 645 AFD with 4 film backs
2 Nikon F100's
1 D700

400H at half box speed in the two film cameras. The only reason the D700 ever comes out is if it's too dark for film, or the reception where it's mostly just run-and-gun type shooting. Otherwise, on the wedding day i'm 100% analog, almost 100% available light. It's easier to shoot, and I much prefer the color pallete of 400H @ half box speed to anything digital on wedding day.

Also, everyone shoots digitally. Shooting film sets me above the competition.

Currently what I shoot with at weddings:

1 Mamiya 645 AFD with 4 film backs
2 Nikon F100's
1 D700

400H at half box speed in the two film cameras. The only reason the D700 ever comes out is if it's too dark for film, or the reception where it's mostly just run-and-gun type shooting. Otherwise, on the wedding day i'm 100% analog, almost 100% available light. It's easier to shoot, and I much prefer the color pallete of 400H @ half box speed to anything digital on wedding day.

Also, everyone shoots digitally. Shooting film sets me above the competition.

Sw1tchFX,

Can you explain shooting at "half box speed" to me? I'm starting a transition into medium format analog and that's a new term I haven't seen before, but seems like an interesting concept! Thanks!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back