Wedding Photography - Starting from the Groundup

Just when I think a guy is gonna get flamed, people are supportive. I just don't understand this forum sometimes. :sexywink:

Anyway, if you're an experienced shooter and have business know-how, you have an advantage over most. I look foward to seeing your work.

your arrogant response is beyond ignorant...

No, actually, it's called an analogy, and it's pretty close to reality.

Well here, then, try this:
Let me google that for you

yes, an analogy between pressing a shutter release and holding somones life in your palm... very bright response, your education must be exceedingly advanced.

Ok not saying you meant it as such, but a wedding is one of the the most important events in a persons life second to having a child. It is much bigger than just pressing a shutter release button, it is capturing the essence of the marriage to come, of the relationship, of the day! I understand your goal, I have the same, but consider something less important first. Engagement sessions, newborns, senior photo's... find a wedding photographer out of your area and offer to intern/second shoot. Plus, one camera WILL NOT DO! You need a camera and a backup camera. If heaven forbid one thing goes wrong ie: flash stops working, shutter locks, you drop your camera, your up the creek without a paddle.

Start practicing on family and friends, if someone is getting married (assuming the paid photographer doesnt have a contract stating no 2nd shooter) shadow shoot their wedding.

Plus, you need to create a bank account for your business, figure out your state business/tax laws, make a business and marketing plan, get a good base portfolio, make a contract for clients, get insurance for liability... and the list goes on.

The reason people are taking your inquiry so lightly is because your presenting yourself as someone without a respect for the levity of the job you want to undertake.

Most importantly, a second camera is a must.

I think it all comes down to love. If you've never given your camera a big hug, and kissed it....you're probably not going to succeed no matter what the economy.

No one has mentioned a few important things.

You need a business license.
A business checking account.
Register with your state comptroller.
You must collect sales tax on behalf of your state and remit them them quarterly.

Also, you must have experience and be able to provide assurance that you will do more than create a couple of good images. You have to know that you have the creative and technical knowhow to create inspired wedding images for 8-10 hours straight.

Good luck!

You must collect sales tax on behalf of your state and remit them them quarterly.

Also, you must have experience and be able to provide assurance that you will do more than create a couple of good images. You have to know that you have the creative and technical knowhow to create inspired wedding images for 8-10 hours straight.

Good luck!
Oh, there is even more than that.

Good luck!
Oh, there is even more than that.

So true! Just trying to draw a contrast between a hobby and a business.

Selective coloring can take you far..

Sorry.. just trying to be funny.

I'm still trying to understand when to add sales tax (vs providing service) and how to give it to the state. Im transfering to zenfolio right now and I cad add sales tax.

Emily Emily.. You cant relate. People dont flame you :) doesnt matter what you do or what stupid questions you ask ;).

I'll have to post up some shots tonight, I have a feeling I came across as someone who just went to best buy and bought a camera this past weekend... that is not the case.

This is what made you sound like that:

I've always been interested in photography, and feel that I have a pretty solid eye.

It makes it sound like you've always been interested in photography (but haven't picked up a camera... YET) and that YOU think you're good, but... you haven't really done any solid work yet.

However, if that's not the case, I too look forward to seeing some of your work once you post it. :sillysmi:

Just when I think a guy is gonna get flamed, people are supportive. I just don't understand this forum sometimes. :sexywink:

:biglaugh:

Yeah, me either.

As far as your dream goes go for it!!!! We all had to start our buisness some time. Just know when shootin a wedding you only get one shot at it so be sure you know what you are doing and have the ability to do it without thinking about it. as far as equipment goes you'll need
2 high quality camera bodies w/decent iso ratings
I use fast lenses with continuous aperatures like f2.8 all the way through your zoom

Well, before you go out with a Nikon d80 and think you are going to shoot 4,500 weekend weddings, there are some things to know. and I don't know if all that information can be poured into this thread. If so, it would certainly be an epic one. No, you don't need a degree to shoot a camera, but where you are talking about taking it, you certainly need all of that knowledge.

1. Local workshops and Google are your friend. Online tutorials. Books (Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure, & more).
2. Practice Practice Practice, then some more. Join a photography club.
3. Post your shots here, and we'll critic them.

Once you start walking down this road, you'll know how long of a journey it will be. Don't expect to hit the ground running this wedding season. There is an episode of Judge Brown floating around on the web. There's a lesson there somewhere as well.

As far as gear, d700 or a markii, but you will need 2 of them. Good luck.

I'll have to post up some shots tonight, I have a feeling I came across as someone who just went to best buy and bought a camera this past weekend... that is not the case.

I hope they are good because if not you are going to get a right roasting :lmao:

Well, before you go out with a Nikon d80 and think you are going to shoot 4,500 weekend weddings, there are some things to know. and I don't know if all that information can be poured into this thread. If so, it would certainly be an epic one. No, you don't need a degree to shoot a camera, but where you are talking about taking it, you certainly need all of that knowledge.

1. Local workshops and Google are your friend. Online tutorials. Books (Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure, & more).
2. Practice Practice Practice, then some more. Join a photography club.
3. Post your shots here, and we'll critic them.

Once you start walking down this road, you'll know how long of a journey it will be. Don't expect to hit the ground running this wedding season. There is an episode of Judge Brown floating around on the web. There's a lesson there somewhere as well.

As far as gear, d700 or a markii, but you will need 2 of them. Good luck.

I hope they are good because if not you are going to get a right roasting :lmao:

I doubt he's coming back to post any pics.

I doubt he's coming back to post any pics.

Hey everyone... I apologize for just dropping off the face of the earth. It was not intentional, I was dealing with some very serious personal issues that kept me away from any form of personal interests and had to care for a family member. Luckily all is well and I am back... better late than ever right? :meh:

Here are a few samples... any advice and criticism is welcome! I know there are many great eyes on here so I really appreciate it.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5161/5348239634_d7f937ec04_z.jpg
5348239634_d7f937ec04_z.jpg

5322072182_5b41533c10_z.jpg

5347491815_bce151d3a2_z.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back