Wedding photography

mrshaleyberg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I have a wedding coming up in April. I know that's still a little ways away, but I'm super nervous. Will two lenses cover a wedding? I'm planning on taking my 50mm, and my 24-70mm (the only two I have mind you). Will these two cover a wedding pretty well?

Wow im starting to see how common these threads are. Ive also thought about starting a thread like this since ive been asked by a few people to do weddings but ive always been to busy to accept them and also because i have never shot a wedding before i dont feel comfortable handling them but thats going off topic sorry.

I wouldnt handle a wedding with two lens. First things first i would consider the location(lighting, props, poses, backdrops) second i would check weather. Also be aware that you should ask about using a flash inside a church because some dont allow it. If no i would consider a fast lens.

Some people dont take weddings as serious as they should since it "looks easy" but it is also a very special day for a couple that will forever cherish the memories and the photos are ment to display this feeling.

Like i said i have never shot a wedding but these are a few things i would consider before getting paid to take care of such a special day.

You should look into renting a 70-200 or 80-200 2.8 if you can. They are very nice lenses and are a great focal length for getting closer up shots from farther away.

The 24-70 is totally adequate. I did one wedding almost exclusively with a 12-24 and occasionally used an 18-105. The 24-70 is doable. I always err on the side of taking a shot wider than the text book proper framing. It is too hard at a wedding's pace. Much easier to shoot wide and get the perfect crop later. Besides wide allows for correcting camera distortion and cropping which makes for a 100% improvement in looks. Thus I recommend you do your shooting on the 24mm end of things mostly. Take the 50mm as a back up. I would probably plan on not even using it unless the 24-70 croaks.

I never thought about renting another lens! That's a good idea! Good pointers. I'll have to talk to my friend more about the church and stuff. I never thought to ask about flash.

But with this being their special day and stuff, I want to do the best I can, of course!

Here's a tip most people tend to forget: (I've picked it up somewhere on the net, so I'm not sure who to credit for it.) Remember that you're there for the bride and groom. Not for aunt Mable who loves the balloons, or the drunk uncle wanting you to shoot the bridesmaids. You're there to make pictures of the happiest day in the bride and grooms life, and you have (hopefully) spoken with them about what they want before you arrive.

The tip is summarized like this: "Don't let anybody distract you when you're there!"

if you have a 24-70, rent a 70-200 and use it instaid of the 50.

One other thing, don't take pictures of center pieces with a cool background. Like mentioned earlier, take pics of bride and groom. One other thing for the "pros" out there. Would you ever consider shooting a wedding with an XSI only. I have one and want to feel better about my purchase.

I would be a LOT less worried about having only two lenses than i would about having only body. Regardless of how new or high-end your body is, shooting with only one is, IMO, stupid. If you are there as the paid professional, then you have to have at least minimal back-up. Murphy's Law applies, and when your camera fails (and in professional service it is a matter of 'when' and NOT 'if') it will be at the worst possible moment.

My standard wedding set-up is two bodies, one with the 70-200 and the other with either the 16-35 or 24-70, depending on the venue. Both bodies have speedlights mounted, and there is at least one more body in my equipment bag. I don't mean to rain on any parades, but I have to say that if you're asking questions like this, you may want to reconsider taking on paying jobs where this absolutely NO chance for a do-over.

Since you only have a few months I would call around to wedding photographers in your area and ask if you could apprentice with them on some weddings before April. Don't be surprised if they say no. Some people don't want to teach their competition. Others will charge you money to accompany them.

The good... you have one nice body and one nice lens. Alot of people ask similar questions with entry level / beginner DSLRs. So thats a good start.

The 24-70 should be enough for standard stuff, although you might want to rent a telephoto lens to get in closer. It is their day, not yours, so you need a longer lens to grab those images while staying out of the way.

As mentionned above, a backup for everything is a must! You pretty much have no do-overs, so if your camera clunks out, you are screwed.

How about flash? You have one listed, do you know how to use it? Diffuser, bouncing? Extra batteries and another flash.

One other thing, don't take pictures of center pieces with a cool background. Like mentioned earlier, take pics of bride and groom.

I 100% disagree, worse advise I've read in a while. On what basis do you give this advice? Take pictures of centre pieces. How many times has a bride ensured I took pics of the centre pieces. Many brides do them themselves or spend time thinking of the right one. It is an essential piece of the wedding table you need to document. Take images of that.

I am not 100% of the time with the camera in the B&G's face. I take images of the wedding party and some of guests. Its about telling a story, and a story includes not just the main actors but a supporting cast and the set as well.

Don't take thousands of images of things, but a few good ones. The cake (without the B&G in the image), the center pieces, the empty room, place cards...these are little things that make a nice album.

One other thing for the "pros" out there. Would you ever consider shooting a wedding with an XSI only. I have one and want to feel better about my purchase.

You are obviously pro enough to give advice to someone wanting to shoot, so you should know the answer to your own question :er:

While I am not a pro, I have shot weddings. I shot my first wedding with an XSI. Worst experience ever. I had a 28-75 f/2.8, 50 f/1.8 and a cheap telephoto. I also had a 430EXII flash and didnt know how to use it.

I struggled to get images in the church. I struggled to get images at the reception. I did get some good images outdoors posing the couple when the light was good.

Like this one Emily & Simon | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

But I was not happy with what I did overall. My equipment severly limited my work.

On the positive side, I did this for a friend who didn't have money for a photographer. When I had "the talk" with her, I told her she should hire a pro to get her the best memories possible. She told me it was either me or relying on friends with P&S cameras. I didn't accept any money and she got better images than if I wasn't there.

So the answer....no. An XSI isn't enough to shoot a wedding, even with some 2.8 lenses. You are severely limited in your usable ISO (I didnt like results over ISO 400).

What do I shoot with now? A 7D and a 50D as backup. 70-200 2.8 IS, 50 1.4, 28-75 2.8, 580 EXII and 430 EXII. And even then, I'm saving for a full frame

The good... you have one nice body and one nice lens. Alot of people ask similar questions with entry level / beginner DSLRs. So thats a good start.

The 24-70 should be enough for standard stuff, although you might want to rent a telephoto lens to get in closer. It is their day, not yours, so you need a longer lens to grab those images while staying out of the way.

As mentioned above, a backup for everything is a must! You pretty much have no do-overs, so if your camera clunks out, you are screwed.

How about flash? You have one listed, do you know how to use it? Diffuser, bouncing? Extra batteries and another flash.

One other thing, don't take pictures of center pieces with a cool background. Like mentioned earlier, take pics of bride and groom.

I 100% disagree, worse advise I've read in a while. On what basis do you give this advice? Take pictures of centre pieces. How many times has a bride ensured I took pics of the centre pieces. Many brides do them themselves or spend time thinking of the right one. It is an essential piece of the wedding table you need to document. Take images of that.

I am not 100% of the time with the camera in the B&G's face. I take images of the wedding party and some of guests. Its about telling a story, and a story includes not just the main actors but a supporting cast and the set as well.

Don't take thousands of images of things, but a few good ones. The cake (without the B&G in the image), the center pieces, the empty room, place cards...these are little things that make a nice album.

One other thing for the "pros" out there. Would you ever consider shooting a wedding with an XSI only. I have one and want to feel better about my purchase.

You are obviously pro enough to give advice to someone wanting to shoot, so you should know the answer to your own question :er:

While I am not a pro, I have shot weddings. I shot my first wedding with an XSI. Worst experience ever. I had a 28-75 f/2.8, 50 f/1.8 and a cheap telephoto. I also had a 430EXII flash and didnt know how to use it.

I struggled to get images in the church. I struggled to get images at the reception. I did get some good images outdoors posing the couple when the light was good.

Like this one Emily & Simon | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

But I was not happy with what I did overall. My equipment severely limited my work.

On the positive side, I did this for a friend who didn't have money for a photographer. When I had "the talk" with her, I told her she should hire a pro to get her the best memories possible. She told me it was either me or relying on friends with P&S cameras. I didn't accept any money and she got better images than if I wasn't there.

So the answer....no. An XSI isn't enough to shoot a wedding, even with some 2.8 lenses. You are severely limited in your usable ISO (I didn't like results over ISO 400).

What do I shoot with now? A 7D and a 50D as backup. 70-200 2.8 IS, 50 1.4, 28-75 2.8, 580 EXII and 430 EXII. And even then, I'm saving for a full frame

Thank you for this! I really appreciate the feedback. I actually do have a back up camera. It's not a great camera, but it'll do better than no camera. But this is exactly what you mentioned earlier..This is for a friend that can't afford a professional photographer. So I am just going to do the best I can. I only have one flash. I know how to use it..Not as good as I like though..But it's good that I still have a little time to practice. I do know how to bounce. Should I get another flash?

I did plan on focusing on the bride and groom. After all, they are dedicating that day to spend the rest of their lives together! :)

I was actually going to see about finding some people that are getting married in the next couple months and see if I could stand in as a extra photographer. Would they have to ask the professional that's going to be there if I'm allowed to stand in, or is it the bride and groom's decision whether or not to have me there? Hopefully I can get something to get a little practice in and the calm my nerves!

Here's a tip most people tend to forget: (I've picked it up somewhere on the net, so I'm not sure who to credit for it.) Remember that you're there for the bride and groom. Not for aunt Mable who loves the balloons, or the drunk uncle wanting you to shoot the bridesmaids. You're there to make pictures of the happiest day in the bride and grooms life, and you have (hopefully) spoken with them about what they want before you arrive.

The tip is summarized like this: "Don't let anybody distract you when you're there!"

Tittan has it spot on and in addition are you confident with dealing with the large crowds of people who will be there because it can be scary

The best tip I can give you is make sure you do a reconnaissance visit the week before with a friend (use them as a model). Go to the church at exactly the same time the wedding will be on. Ask the priest to turn on the lights like a wedding and take loads of test shots. Work out what settings work best with the equipment you have. Ask if flash is allowed in the church because if it isn't and it is a dark church and your lowest lens speed is 4 then you have a problem. It's better to find this out a week before than on the day. Practice the tricky exposures like the bride entering the church. Ask the priest where you are allowed to stand, how close to the action they will allow you to get.

Then do the same at the reception location.

This will help you on the day and take any guess work out of it. Of course you may need to make some minor adjustments on the day but you will be ready to go.

Everyone will bleat on about equipment but regardless of your equipment you still need to have actual good photography skill and know how to shoot weddings. A good photographer can get the best out of so so equipment. A poor photographer will still take awful shots on the best cameras and lenses and maybe fluke an occasional good one.

Most reactions

Back