Wedding Photogs....

Have a list like this (adapt it to your wedding style), anything in addition is an additional charge.
Good idea, in theory...but are you going to, in the middle of the wedding day, stop and say that you won't shoot something unless you get more money?

If anyone is finding that they aren't getting paid enough to shoot these extra shots or whatever it is....then just charge more in the first place and expect to do a few extra things during the day.

Of course, if they require you to stay significantly longer than agreed upon (in the contract), then you should have a previously discussed charge for overtime.

I try and discuss this ahead of time, but like all plans, it is subject to change. From my point of view, I charge strictly by the hour, so I could care less, BUT once we stray from the wedding party, I will seek permission from whomever is paying (since it's not always the B&G). The other concern of course is: Will it take so long that it impacts other events later in the day.

Have a list like this (adapt it to your wedding style), anything in addition is an additional charge.
Good idea, in theory...but are you going to, in the middle of the wedding day, stop and say that you won't shoot something unless you get more money? ....

How about a list, but with a clause stating up to 10-15 (pick a number comfortable with) extra not on the list decided on the spot. Anything above those will cost extra or are not allowed due to scheduling. This way you don't cut them off if they throw in a few extras but give yourself something to fall back to if it gets extreme.

My attitude about this has gradually change over the years, but not a lot. I was always concerned about any of my portrait customers that may be attendance. They might think, "Hey... we just spent over $600 with that guy for our portrait, and here ANYBODY can walk up and demand a portrait."

The way some studios used to handle this: When approached to so a portrait at a reception, the photographer handed over an order envelope to be filled out indicating the number and size of the print(s) wanted and payment was to be enclosed at that time. I never tried this, but it sounded good.

Like Pierre says, very few if any of these photos ever get printed and it serves no one if I'm just spinning my wheels instead of giving my attention to my clients... the one that hired me for the event.

-Pete

How about a list, but with a clause stating up to 10-15 (pick a number comfortable with) extra not on the list decided on the spot. Anything above those will cost extra or are not allowed due to scheduling. This way you don't cut them off if they throw in a few extras but give yourself something to fall back to if it gets extreme.
In this scenario, you're having to count the number of shots/poses etc. Not very practical during a busy wedding day IMO. Although it could be something to put into the contract so that the B&G are aware of the issue.

Personally, I don't mind taking portrait type shots of other people at the wedding. Sometimes we do table shots, sometimes we get shots of all the couples during the reception etc. But at the same time, we're handing out cards and also passing around a sign up sheet for people to give us their E-mail addresses. Then all the photos get put into a gallery and all the people on the list get E-mailed.
Now you have all those people coming to your site, maybe even ordering prints. They have met you, so provided you weren't bitching about the number of family shots you had to take, they have a good opinion of you. That's a great way to get more business IMO.

Of course, the real issue is whether or not these distractions are affecting your ability to get the shots that you (and they) are most concerned about...which is usually the shots of the B&G together and the shots of them with their close family. If the situation is that the important shots are being compromised, then yes, you need to do something about it. As someone mentioned, this is likely their first wedding...and you, as the photography, have probably been involved in many wedding. So using your experience to help them make decisions is, IMO, part of the job. In other words, sometimes we have to whisper to the bride "we need to speed this up, if you want to get the rest of the photography done".

On the other hand, I've had brides tell me that they are less concerned about pictures of themselves, and more concerned about photos of their family members (who are all dresses up and in one location...maybe for the first time in years). So it's important for us to know what the clients want.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back