Wedding pic C&C

photosoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
thinking on giving a photo as a gift. this was a snapshot but turned out pretty decent. I've already blurred out some of the background and put sparkle on here engagement ring. worthy? or should I ditch the idea??

F/8
1/30 sec.

4019964128_d195a63f7f_b.jpg

I see where your going with the ring but I think it's too much. Very unrealistic sparkle. Considering that the ring is blurred however the sparkle is crisp doesn't make sense to me.

The Tilt Shift blur effect that you performed is decent. (btw my next purchase is going to be Canon TS-E 90mm and I can't wait :D)

Also maybe some vibrance to the colours b/c it looks a bit flat(just my preference though).

Happy shooting :thumbup:

In my experience, candid wedding photographs from friends and family are always 'worthy'. While, to be brutually frank, this image is not likely to win any awards, it does show a smiling bride. I would also consider levelling it and perhaps cropping off some of the excess "people" on each side.

thanks for the replies. I've played with cropping a little to remove the people but at the same time I almost feel they should not be cropped. I don't want to leave the bride w/beer in hand and groom ha ha.

also, is there any way to make the guy right at her left side neckline go away. he's distracting sort of.

Last edited:
pretty decent.
? WHERE?!
This is what I see... Image is blurry, cute girl and decent attempt to capture moment but groom (looks like a space cadet :thumbdown:) (I'm sure he isn't but his facial expression at this moment is to the contrary). White balance is off - white shirts as well as the dress look cold.
You mentioned you blurred the background, I'm assuming to create shallow DOF but b/c the image is blurry in its self it seems that there is no focus point.
I do like the ring sparkling but b/c of the faults above, it isn't noticeable...
Don't despair, I'm not a complete jerk full of negative comments, here are some ways you can try to fix it: Crop background and get rid of ppl there. Fix the colors, warm then up a bit. See if you can attempt to sharpen up the eyes, lips, jewelry. Apply softfocus to the image keeping eyes, lips and jewelry as sharp as possible. THEN you can even take in a step further and desaturate EVERYONE besides the girl.
For the future, be careful when shooting candid style, especially at weddings. On affairs as such, images supposed to glorify people and not the opposite.

Keep shooting.
Good Luck

pretty decent.
? WHERE?!
This is what I see... Image is blurry, cute girl and decent attempt to capture moment but groom (looks like a space cadet :thumbdown:) (I'm sure he isn't but his facial expression at this moment is to the contrary). White balance is off - white shirts as well as the dress look cold.
You mentioned you blurred the background, I'm assuming to create shallow DOF but b/c the image is blurry in its self it seems that there is no focus point.
I do like the ring sparkling but b/c of the faults above, it isn't noticeable...
Don't despair, I'm not a complete jerk full of negative comments, here are some ways you can try to fix it: Crop background and get rid of ppl there. Fix the colors, warm then up a bit. See if you can attempt to sharpen up the eyes, lips, jewelry. Apply softfocus to the image keeping eyes, lips and jewelry as sharp as possible. THEN you can even take in a step further and desaturate EVERYONE besides the girl.
For the future, be careful when shooting candid style, especially at weddings. On affairs as such, images supposed to glorify people and not the opposite.

Keep shooting.
Good Luck

thanks

Last edited:
I never said I was a great photographer. On contrary, I consider my self a mediocre and always look to improve the technique.

worthy of editing and giving as gift??
I wouldn't edit. I'm sure that you have LOTs of many other images that you can choose from to work with.
umm, nevermind I may just send a card. __________________
Why? B/c of what I said, then you'll never improve if will be giving up... on contrary, take advice of people and try it out. If you don't like the results, then start over.
Try to do little things I said and see how it works out.
Get your self, at least DEMO of Nik Software. There are some really nice filters (Nik Color Efex) perhaps you can use that.
You can also put a vignette around the bride and get groom out but his facial expression, rather lack of it, is one major problems. In few month, you can blackmail him with it :lol:
Shooting at 1/30 is tricky and w/o flash DANGEROUS especially if the objects moves around. Shooting portraits, David Ziser during one of his seminars was shooting at ISO 400, 1/30sec at f/5.6 BUT again, he used the flash.

Keep shooting, editing and improving your skill :thumbup:

Op don't give up too easy on your art. This may not be the greatest photo in the world but you can surely edit it to be decent. I did an edit to black and white and let me tell you one wedding photgraphy trick - the easiest way to improve on a mediocre wedding photo is to convert it to Black and White. I kid you not it works almost all of the time. My advice is to not listen to everything you hear and just filter only what you need. You took that shot and stand by it...you may not have the resources or equipment for editing right now but editing a photo that you desperately want to salvage and turn decent is very realistic with today's technology. My advice to you is to take the best photograph in camera so the editing is minimal b/c in wedding photography performing major edits on 800 shots will be a major pain the the arse. I try to keep my avg editing below 1 minute a photo ideally. This particular one I did took longer then normal.

4019403413_7f2f6ab968_o.jpg

Just converted it to Black and White and increasted the contracts and added more blacks to have more a focal point on the bride since she's wearing white.

what?! give up?... no way, maybe/maybe not on this pic. but yeahhhh, thanks.

BTW, I want to say thank you to TIREDIRON. I've noticed on my posts as well as others that TIREDIRON always has great constructive criticism without the ego.:thumbup: thank you!

End of thread/

the easiest way to improve on a mediocre wedding photo is to convert it to Black and White. I kid you not it works almost all of the time.

You're kidding, right? Please tell me this was a joke and I just missed the smilies.

Allan

Nope not kidding at all. Works for me! Black and white adds class to a photo IMHO.

the easiest way to improve on a mediocre wedding photo is to convert it to Black and White. I kid you not it works almost all of the time.

You're kidding, right? Please tell me this was a joke and I just missed the smilies.

Allan

Nope not kidding at all. Works for me! Black and white adds class to a photo IMHO.

You actually give your clients mediocre images? Seriously?

Allan

You actually give your clients mediocre images? Seriously?

:lol: You are taking this totally out of context. You can improve a mediocre photo by converting it to black and white. The finish and editing will improve and make the photo classy. These photos won't be mediocre(finish)to clients as these are documentations of their big day.

Why are all the photos you give to your client picture perfect? Because you seem to imply that with your question.

Allan

Yes, black and white can add class, but only if the scene is right for black and white, which the above one clearly is not. Remember, in B&W you are shooting for tonality, in color you shoot for colors, completely different approaches.

Converting a mediocre color image to B&W just makes a really bad B&W, IMHO.

Allan

Yes, black and white can add class, but only if the scene is right for black and white, which the above one clearly is not. Remember, in B&W you are shooting for tonality, in color you shoot for colors, completely different approaches.

Converting a mediocre color image to B&W just makes a really bad B&W, IMHO.

Allan

So your basically telling me that black and white conversions are only performed for tonality. And coloured pictures aren't?

What if the client requested for black and white? what if the artist is just a black and white photographer? What if the theme of the event was a black and white? So turning a really bad colored picture can not be converted to Black and White? LOL says who?

Frankly speaking I wouldn't set rules in the art if I were you...no such thing in my book. Not stepping on your toes Allan but I've done almost a hundred weddings in the last 3 years and surely enough Black and White conversions apply across the board.

Most reactions

Back