Weddings... I don't get it.

I haven't heard a complaint yet about Weddings than can compare to dealing with the general public in retail, coming into my store to yell at me and treat me like **** about their stupid cell phones for the past 2600 days. hahahahahaha stupid phones

i wanted to do wedding photography (in fact, the first dslr in my hands was photographing a wedding). . . so i did, and had good experiences and made good money . . . its paying for my 2 1/2 month vacation and all of my gear, gas etc. BUT, the last one was a nightmare and i will certainly be charging more, and being more selective in my choice of clients if i choose to do more weddings in the future. They are always lots of work, and sometimes fun. journalism is going to be my field of choice for now . . . and i'm soon going to be interviewed by a wire service

with good clients though, and good assistants weddings are a blast.

nothing like doing an engagement shoot, and getting payed, then taken to a steakhouse on their bill. wedding rolls around and its awesome . . . they pretty much listen to me, and it turns out really well.

you can't knock weddings when they pan out like that.

I don't do weddings because I see it as being beneath me :mrgreen:

The guy was supposed to be one of the best in his field - and he was cr*p.

Those two statements just anger me. Even with the smiley attached, indicating your at least half-joking, why would any photographer say that weddings are "BENEATH THEM" Furthermore, why would a college waste money bringing in someone who was crap? Everyone in this college was supposed to become a world-class journalist or nature photographer? I call boloney on your "true story".

As one of the "newbies" who came to this forum talking about weddings, I think I can responsd to this.

Before I do so I want to preface it with saying that you, Hertz, and the original poster are coming off as extremly arrogant, and quite honestly sound rather mean... but most amazing is that the OP did weddings. Not once, or even twice... but for EIGHT YEARS!

If that is the case then why do you even need to ASK this question? YOU DID IT...what reasons did you have? I bet they are similar to mine. You make it sound like Wedding Photography was part of your "evolution" as a photographer, and again like Hertz, making it sound like wedding photographers are some lower class photog that doesn't deserve the time of day from truly classy photographer like yourself.

So to the question... why?

Money, surely is a motivating factor. Wedding photographers make money, it's no secret. It's a LOT of work if you're doing it right, and even the new breed of "shoot and cd" (no print) photographer has many hours invested in each wedding, and if they do things right, are paid for it decently. If you sell prints on top of it, your paid even more.

But there is MUCH more to it, or at least their should be. I like people, and I really get along with most people... I am friendly, and am not shy to get up and talk in front of a large crowd. I feel this helps me tackling large groups, like you see at weddings.

Moreover, wedding photography is one type of photography that MOST people enjoy. I mean, some people could give a poopie about seeing the most beautiful picture of a wolf lapping water from a still pond at sunset, but most people love their kids getting married and proudly post those pictures on the wall.

So why do I shoot weddings, and hope to do it more in the future? Because I ENJOY IT... and you did it for 8 years and hated EVERY MOMENT OF IT? I really feel sorry for you... I can't imagine doing something I hated for 8 years just because the money is good. There are more important things in life buddy.

Also, I'd like to address this line in the OP's post:

"I knew what I was doing, a full set of lights, pro cameras and lenses (Hassy) with backups of everything, liability insurance, etc."

So here we are, always wanting to dispel the myths of photography and you are perpatuating the belief that EQUIPMENT = SKILL.... and yet you go on later on to argue that point with yourself. Silly.

Personally, I'd rather have ONE GOOD photographer with a point and shoot then 3 equipment heavy ones that have no idea what they are doing. I did my wedding with a D50, a few lenses and one flash. Sure, more equipment could've come in handy, but I think the results were good... and it was me or the 10 disposables on the tables for this bride. I'm not trying to pretend that quality equipment is not important, but I think too much emphasis is placed on it, especially in wedding photography. Even with unlimited money my Wedding Kit would only consist of a decent body and bakcup, a wide angle, a fast Prime and a decent zoom, and two/three flashes. I don't see the need for much more.

Anyway, go ahead and bash us... the "wedding photogs" consider us "beneath you", but remember, some of us ENJOY doing what we do.

Sabbath999........having been a pro shooter for the last 40+ years (industrials and sports), I understand just where you are coming from.

I shoot horse events mostly for the challenge of it all. Had several MOB's ask for a price for their daughters wedding (guaranteed to get the job). When I tell them "that I would rather slit my wrists and die a slow lingering death", they are quite surprised.

Amateurs, that with entry level DSLR's are all over the place and think that a few hundred dollars is a fortune, have destroyed a once viable market.
It is the aggravation and haggling after that wears you down.
You can never explain to the MOB or Bridezilla that her snaggle tooth and facial hair take her out of the fashion model catagory.

Ya' got my vote Bud.

Sabbath999........having been a pro shooter for the last 40+ years (industrials and sports), I understand just where you are coming from.

I shoot horse events mostly for the challenge of it all. Had several MOB's ask for a price for their daughters wedding (guaranteed to get the job). When I tell them "that I would rather slit my wrists and die a slow lingering death", they are quite surprised.

Amateurs, that with entry level DSLR's are all over the place and think that a few hundred dollars is a fortune, have destroyed a once viable market.
It is the aggravation and haggling after that wears you down.
You can never explain to the MOB or Bridezilla that her snaggle tooth and facial hair take her out of the fashion model catagory.

Ya' got my vote Bud.

You my friend, are the reason I don't come to this board as much as I used to.

Arrogance abounds. Why the HELL do you think you're so much better than I am?

Disgusting.

Mike, It's hard to play nice when you're being attacked and ridiculed. I won't play nice when people are treating us, and you included, like we are beneath them for wanting to shoot weddings.

Ban me, boot me, whatever you want - but those people above are rude and arrogant and this board would be better without that attitude. I am all for discussion, but not ridicule.

I will tell you a story.
When I was at College we used to get working photographers to come and show their work, talk to us and get drunk with us after.
Such was Bournemouth's prestige at the time that the top photographers of the day - not to mention Art directors - were queueing up to see us.
One day the Head of School told us that we had a treat in store and he introduced a local wedding photographer. This chap had won National awards and was considered good.
We respectfully listened to him, looked at his work and then asked intelligent questions.
Then he left.
When he had gone the Head of School turned gravely to us, looked at us all for a minute. Then said "well I'm sure having heard him speak and seen his work you have all realised why we asked Mr - - - - to come and talk to you. That's right - that is what will happen to you if you f*ck up your three years here!"
It sobbered us all up.
The guy was supposed to be one of the best in his field - and he was cr*p.

True story.

No, I don't believe this.

I don't believe that the Head of any reputable school would be so disrespectful of another working photographer as to invite him there to present, ostensibly in good faith, and then hold him up as an example of failure.

Secondly, whether I would want to do wedding photography, or could do it well, I think that wedding photographers can do as good work in their field as any of us can do in ours.

They deserve respect if only because they are working hard and attempting to provide great memories for people on a happy day.

Awesome FLICKR shots man. . .although its hard to concentrate on "form" and "function" and "blah blah blah" when those models are freakin smokin. . .0_0

This one and this and this are tops.

And +1000 on the comments regarding wedding photography. If anything wedding photography offers an opportunity to capture some incredibly emotional shots, staged or otherwise. Sadly, the comments seem to have disuaded one person from getting the service of someone who may well have been able to snap that same emotion, and do so expertly.

Mike, It's hard to play nice when you're being attacked and ridiculed. I won't play nice when people are treating us, and you included, like we are beneath them for wanting to shoot weddings.

I think you are taking this much too personally. I don't see all that much arrogance...and certainly not any ridicule.

It's clear to me that shooting weddings can be a grind...and bad experiences will really wear on a photographer after a while. If they don't want to shoot weddings anymore...because they don't want to deal with those types of clients...that's their choice.

I agree with this sentiment. There are far too many people shooting weddings with very little skill and for not nearly enough money. I don't care about the level of camera they have...but typically it would indeed be an entry level DSLR (or high end P&S).

It's perfectly fair of them to undercut the market and charge a few hundred dollars...but that does put a strain on the working photographer who can't charge that little and stay in business.

I don't plan on charging low prices...and I have to compete against people who do. This is especially tough while trying to get started...I could go the cheap route...but I choose not to.

When you look at how much work it is to shoot weddings...and how much crap you have to take from the clients...it doesn't always pay all that well. If a photographer can make just as much or money without all that...I can see where they would say that wedding photography is beneath them. Maybe it's not the best choice of words...but it's nothing to blow a gasket over.

I was thinking of becoming a divorce photographer. What do yall think?:lmao:

I once had one couple that was separated and on the road to divorce before I got the proof book back to them... we had a sitting so that I could present it to them about 2 weeks after the ceremony (ah, the days of film...) and nobody showed up. I called their house and found out that the bride had thrown the groom out.

Turns out, he had done the "one last time" thing with another woman at the bachelor's party... The moron did it at a party the brides brother was at. Sheesh.

The REALLY bad thing about it (as if that wasn't bad enough) was that the couple had lived together for about 4 years before tying the knot.

Luckily I had payment in advance for the service and the proofs, so although I didn't get any orders (obviously) I at least came out OK on it.

Im not a paid pro, but I like shooting for practice at weddings at the present time. There is no pressure on me, and therefore, I am not too worried when not all of them turn out. I am not sure if I ever want to be a pro wedding photog. I just enjoy getting better at my skill in general, which includes wedding photography.

funny thread.......the original poster sounds bitter and jaded, much like how I feel about marriage.

Most reactions

Back