week with a Nikon D90

lalalala<3life

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok so, I own a Kodak Z740 its just a point and shoot and I really want to buy a more expensive camera that takes nicer photos. And I want to be able to control the settings and all that stuff. SOOoo anyway, I rented a Nikon D 90 for a week, and these are some photos I took during that time. I've never taken any photography classes or anything I just have a passion for it and want to get into it more! I would just like to get some opinions and tips to make them better from you guys. Thanks a whole bunch!!!!
DSC_1208.jpg

DSC_1210.jpg

DSC_1205.jpg

DSC_1102.jpg

DSC_0791.jpg

DSC_1269.jpg

DSC_1453.jpg

DSC_1924.jpg

DSC_2458.jpg

Not bad for the 18-105 VR lens.

Some of them appear a bit soft to me, but it actually works better for them I think.

That camera has seen some usage. almost 17,000 images on it. You took some pictures this week too...:lol:

You had the camera on Auto Exposure for most of these. Some of them may have benefited from using a tripod instead of hand-holding.

try reading "the Strobist Blog" as well as "Understanding Exposure" by Brian Peterson and "The Digital Photography Book" by Scott Kelby. Three references that have really helped me get a grip on ISO/Shutter/Aperture and how they relate to each other.

Not too bad for your first try with a dslr camera. Some do seem a bit out of focus. Its a shame the water and sky are so blown out in #4, i really like that one otherwise. Your colors seem a bit over saturated in some also. I like the shot of the sneakers. And the expression on the little boys face is priceless -guilty written all over it. ;)

Not too bad. The focus is off on a few of them. The composition is pretty good, I like #3 and #9.

With the Chuck Taylors, it looks like some sort of weird white balance issue is afoot. The logo on the left shoe is yellowish and the logo on the right shoe is white. Perhaps it was just the color of the setting sun being reflected by the logo on the left.

Anyway, great start. Just remember to get your shutter speed up, focus on the eyes, don't center all of your shots and have fun.

You have to look to other people for the technical critique. I do think some look a bit soft but I"m on a laptop and things never look optimal on this. I think your "eye" is pretty darn good. I like how your brain sees things and turns them into photo ops. I especially like 2, 3, and 4. Note: number your pics in your next post. It makes it easier to comment on them. :) I have this camera and have enjoyed the 18-105. It give a lot of flexibility. But mostly mine lives with the 70-300 glued to it. How much did it cost to rent the camera and what type of store/place did you rent it from?

Thank you all for commenting and giving me some pointers!

It's a shame the water and sky are so blown out in #4, I really like that one otherwise. Your colors seem a bit over saturated in some also

The reason #4 is so blown out is that I edited it that way. IDK why I was just having fun, I kinda like it that way but I guess it's a personal choice whether you like it or not. Also the over statured ness I think its because I set it on P mode and then changed the WB to cloudy because I thought the color looked richer. But I'm not sure if that helped or hindered the photos? Also in my editing I think I go a lil bit too far with the color boosting. I also paint, so I LIKE A LOT OF COLR and color change, but perhaps with photos it's not so good? haha =D

With the Chuck Taylors, it looks like some sort of weird white balance issue is afoot. The logo on the left shoe is yellowish and the logo on the right shoe is white. Perhaps it was just the color of the setting sun being reflected by the logo on the left.

It actually turned out that way because I changed the color in my editing process. I thought the shot looked cool with a little antique color. Its true it does make it look like the sun is setting on the one side. But yes both logos are the same color its just the way I edited it. If I would have added more of the antique color it would have looked really fake, so I just left it like that!

Anyway, great start. Just remember to get your shutter speed up, focus on the eyes, don't center all of your shots and have fun.
Thanks a lot tharmsen!!!!!!!!

I think your "eye" is pretty darn good. I like how your brain sees things and turns them into photo ops. I especially like 2, 3, and 4. Note: number your pics in your next post. It makes it easier to comment on them. :)

Thanks a lot lvcrtrs!!! I few people (that don't know much about photography) have told me I have a good eye, but hearing it from someone who knows a lot about it means SOOOO MUCH TO ME!! I will try and remember to number my next batch I put up here. Thanks!

How much did it cost to rent the camera and what type of store/place did you rent it from?
It cost me $40 for the D90 body, and $25 for the 18-105 lens. I rented it from Dan's camera city. It's a WONDERFUL store! I love it!

2,8,9 are the best. D90 is a great camera too!

Thank you. Every one seems to like #2 the truck photo. I have a few more of that truck and a red one that was next to it and a few from the place I was doing the shoot

#1 truck
DSC_1278.jpg

#2 truck
DSC_1279.jpg

DSC_1282.jpg

DSC_1411.jpg

DSC_1360.jpg

DSC_1394.jpg

This is a cool macro photo I took of my dog
#7 Misty's eye
DSC_2466-1.jpg

Most reactions