Weekly challenge 10/19 - 10/25. Backlighting

Finally had enough light to even backlight something this evening.
IMG_1672.jpg

IMG_1670.jpg

I guess this would be backlighting ?
I have a ton I took with sunset illuminating a subject from behind like this. Never understood it as backlighting. Thanks. Learn something new everyday (or weekly in this case). :)

View attachment 181181
Absolutely is back lighting. Another term is contrejour.
Back light is what can create silhouettes. It can create bright outlines of a subject, rim lighting, or hair lighting.
Great for dramatic images.

I have a ton I took with sunset illuminating a subject from behind like this. Never understood it as backlighting. Thanks. Learn something new everyday (or weekly in this case). :)

View attachment 181181
Back light is what can create silhouettes. It can create bright outlines of a subject, rim lighting, or hair lighting.

What about straight landscape. The landscape is the subject. So I have sunlight peeking through trees toward the camera for instance. I guess that would be considered also correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 181181

What about straight landscape. The landscape is the subject. So I have sunlight peeking through trees toward the camera for instance. I guess that would be considered also correct?

Yep. Light coming toward the front of the camera is back light.
Sounds funny worded that way, doesn't it?
The light hits the back of the subject... :)

Ok one more then. I think this qualifies also in this case. Too this a couple weeks ago.

IMG_2589.JPG

View attachment 181181

Ok one more then. I think this qualifies also in this case. Too this a couple weeks ago.

View attachment 181184

View attachment 181181

Not a criticism, but for education. This has qualities of back lighting, but it's not very strongly back lit.
When back lighting is talked about, generally there is some strong darkening of the subjects that occurs due to that back light. Think of a musician with a spot behind her that darkens her features and mostly outline is seen. Think of sunlight behind trees doing the same thing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back