Weekly challenge 10/19 - 10/25. Backlighting

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For this week’s challenge, post photos using backlighting. Many subjects lend themselves well to backlighting - portraits, flowers, trees, animals... be creative or be classic - it’s all good.

Popular techniques for backlighting involve using natural or artificial light to create silhouettes and rim lighting. Sunlight can also be used to create sun flares and sun stars. Getting the correct exposure with backlighting is the most challenging aspect of this technique. The links below describe various techniques to use.

As always, new photos only for the challenge. Get out there and shoot!

How To Effectively Use Backlighting in Photography

Using Backlight in Nature Photography

https://www.adorama.com/alc/5-simple-tips-for-shooting-backlit-portraits-outdoors

12 Clever backlighting techniques for more creative photos

A candid back lit photo of one of my housemates.
_MG_0183.JPG

I'm assuming this fits the category, since the only light was a strobe fired from behind. I'm experimenting trying to duplicate something I saw recently. Set the camera to read total black, then brought the strobe up to provide the edge highlights. Cleaned up in Ps. Feel like I need to perfect it more with a thinner line. A woman and her dog.

A woman and her dog by William Raber, on Flickr

ADFFBE8E-BAD7-4F9D-970D-9E7C7302BAD3.jpeg

My best pal. He’s been sidelined with a leg injury for a few weeks so today was our first walk in the woods this fall. He was soooooo happy to be outside (and so tired when we got home lol).

I'm assuming this fits the category, since the only light was a strobe fired from behind. I'm experimenting trying to duplicate something I saw recently. Set the camera to read total black, then brought the strobe up to provide the edge highlights. Cleaned up in Ps. Feel like I need to perfect it more with a thinner line. A woman and her dog.

I really like what you have done. Nicely done!

Most reactions

Back