Weekly challenge 5/8 - 5/14. Better in b&w?

Quick noob question: Does "new" image mean new to the site, or recently taken? I've been locked down for... what is it - ever? - and have been working with lots of old photos. Assuming it's "new to the site," here's a comparison of an old image of a Russian Orthodox church on St. George Island (one of the Pribilof Islands in the middle of the Bering Sea) which I like better in B&W than color (imaged scanned from an old slide.)

akscot-021s.jpg

akscot-021sbw.jpg

@Gardyloo

hi and welcome! New means taken on or after the first day of that week’s challenge. The main purpose of the weekly challenges is to get people shooting. The challenges since the lockdown began are all things that can be shot without going outside. Occasionally we will have an editing challenge and if previously taken photos are allowed for that it will say so.

I don’t want to discourage you from posting. There are many threads in the Theme section to post photos from your catalogue and I look forward to seeing them. For the challenges, try to find something to shoot in your home or yard/neighborhood if you can.

Okay, thanks. No problem.

As with many I'm seeing here, I don't feel that my entry here is better in b/w. Different, but not better.
I'll keep trying to come up with some. This shot was converted to b/w for Flickr's Monochrome Bokeh Thursday group.

Bushtit on the hunt

And the color original:
49894590647_d5d594075e.jpg

Paige, I like your first better in b/w as color distracts from the child's expression and mood. The others I actually prefer in color. I think because the color gives a sense of place in the others.

Paige, I like your first better in b/w as color distracts from the child's expression and mood. The others I actually prefer in color. I think because the color gives a sense of place in the others.

Thanks for the input! Now that I'm looking more at them, I think I agree with you :)

This week's challenge taught me a couple of things; I procrastinate and I need more skill when it comes to processing B&W. Okay, I already knew both of those. I've been looking for things that would look better in B&W and taking a few pics late this week. First is the JPEG sooc, followed by my attempts at B&W.
1. Old Windmill
DSC_5598.JPG

DSC_5598-1.jpg

2. Hay field
DSC_5588.JPG

DSC_5588-1.jpg

3. More hay fields
DSC_5591.JPG

DSC_5591-1.jpg

4. Old house
DSC_5618.JPG

DSC_5618-1.jpg