Weekly challenge 8/31 - 9/6 Exposed!

Short roll of TriX shot at 1600, HC110 1:63, Nikon F2, 50mm f/2, ND filter. Minolta / Kemco light meter. Hi Key with film project for zine. Shot on Saturday.

MMotorsF250f2TriX400141E.jpg

FB_IMG_1567507189686.jpg

FB_IMG_1567507209788.jpg

Short roll of TriX shot at 1600, HC110 1:63, Nikon F2, 50mm f/2, ND filter. Minolta / Kemco light meter. Hi Key with film project for zine. Shot on Saturday.
View attachment 179073
View attachment 179074
View attachment 179075

Oh yes, wonderful, this is reminiscent of my experiments in the 1970s.
B&W film, blown super high (then called) ASA, much too warm developer, printing on 50x60cm paper (gradation hard) from Tura and Zunow, two early (Eastern European) manufacturers of PC - Plastic Coated - photo paper, Kodak and Agfa didn't even have that back then! And...I still remember very well the questioning look my mother had at the time when she saw the results, always with that familiar question: "so, tell me, what should I see in these?"

Last edited:
Photo A: in this covered piece of shopping gallery I'd to overexpose a little so as not to have a properly exposed escalator, but at the same time a completely dark background. Only metering in the distant background had left a completely bleached escalator, so slightly overexposing this was a good compromise. Photo B: in post I tried as much as possible to coordinate everything in terms of foreground and background.

View attachment 179161

gk, B looks like a nicely balanced exposure. When I pass my cursor over the most brightly lit areas, none look blown out.

I agree with your mother GK... I don't get the overly light, overly bright, washed out look. I do like the one of the bubbles, there's some nice contrast and texture that creates visual interest there. Also the monochromatic one of the ship, that has nice geometric pattern and shape. Some of yours JC are rather interesting like the last one so it seems it can work, especially in B&W.

I like some minimalism, but there needs to be something there, some balance in the composition, etc. I don't know, I don't get it, if I had photos with the exposure off that much I'd most likely scrap them I think.

Last edited:
Sleeping dog, a process in progress, I've been experimenting shooting through various translucent materials, this one was through a plastic sandwich bag. It's like Forest Gump's box of chocolates, you never know what you'll get because of the light reflection and refraction.
sleeping dogs -1596.jpg

Loved seeing everyone's interpretations. This week's theme is made for black/white and @jcdeboever!

Most reactions

Back