Weekly challenge - Before and After 1/6 - 1/12

My avatar at 11:01 PM last night... (before- [flash mishap])
MJK_5113sooc.jpg

Don't you love RAW? After-

Missy has had it!
by Peeb-OK, on Flickr

Impressive save @Peeb

Water drop- sooc:
MJK_5133-sooc.jpg

The water column was not perfectly vertical.
Did not care for the dark line at bottom of frame.
Wanted to push vibrance/saturation to bring out muted colors (the background was sunrise- blue hour).
Tad of noise reduction.
Tad of sharpening.
Calcification/lime on bottom of faucet was ugly so I minimized that.

Water drop with sunrise blue background
by Peeb-OK, on Flickr

Took this one purposefully to create a faux abstract landscape as if the camera was moved side to side at the beach. This may be my entry for the color harmonies challenge if I get too swamped with work this week.

Original - was only trying to get the light right:

Finished product:

Took this one purposefully to create a faux abstract landscape as if the camera was moved side to side at the beach. This may be my entry for the color harmonies challenge if I get too swamped with work this week.

Finished product:
Wow! What a difference- nice work. I find that to be an amazing improvement.

I'm really surprised we haven't seen more entries, as (to me) virtually ANY image taken during the week is eligible. Either (1) most members don't process their images too much; (2) folks don't want to share their SOOC images, or (3) something else?

I wish I was gifted enough to have a portfolio that didn't require much post, but that hasn't played out for me! Most of my shots need anything from 'some' to 'LOTS' of help after capture.

Finished product:

I'm really surprised we haven't seen more entries, as (to me) virtually ANY image taken during the week is eligible. Either (1) most members don't process their images too much; (2) folks don't want to share their SOOC images, or (3) something else?

I wish I was gifted enough to have a portfolio that didn't require much post, but that hasn't played out for me! Most of my shots need anything from 'some' to 'LOTS' of help after capture.

Thanks! Not sure yet if it's too simple for the 52 week Dogwood challenge... but that may be all I get for the week. Kind of hard to shoot color harmonies with all this snow covering everything. I don't know why this week's challenge is not getting more action. Sometimes people are just busy I guess - especially the first full workweek of the year. Holidays are over and back to the grind people! Also, this is more of a "technical" challenge and not everyone likes those. Hopefully a few more people will have something to show this week.

Finished product:

Thanks! Not sure yet if it's too simple for the 52 week Dogwood challenge... but that may be all I get for the week. Kind of hard to shoot color harmonies with all this snow covering everything. I don't know why this week's challenge is not getting more action. Sometimes people are just busy I guess - especially the first full workweek of the year. Holidays are over and back to the grind people! Also, this is more of a "technical" challenge and not everyone likes those. Hopefully a few more people will have something to show this week.
I found your shot to be more than worthy for the dogwood challenge- elegant, actually!

Finished product:

I’ll give my three reasons:

1. Work/home life is nuts right now.

2. It’s flipping cold outside.

3. Indoor photos (cause it’s dark when I leave and dark when I get him) require flash or fast lenses or both. I don’t have any of them above ready to go currently, haha.

Finished product:

3. Indoor photos (cause it’s dark when I leave and dark when I get him) require flash or fast lenses or both. I don’t have any of them above ready to go currently, haha.

You have about 9 months left on the "we have a new baby at home" excuse. Ride that wave for as long as you can.

Finished product:

You have about 9 months left on the "we have a new baby at home" excuse. Ride that wave for as long as you can.

Hah! I'm willing to take volunteers for my midnight and 3AM shifts if you're interested.

I'm sorta waiting for my binky to come home, too.

Been there done that got the t-shirt... literally.

So, @SquarePeg got me motivated to understand my new 80mm macro lens. This could probably be edited for improvement but I like it well enough to print. this is a an incamera JPEG considered for this challenge. I am sorry to say, I'm leaving it alone. I am not afraid of editing, admit to my ignorance, but I would not be inclined to edit this image. The challenge forced me to consider every function of the exposure. Successful or not, it taught me to try and get it right in the camera, so no edited image.
DSCF3254.jpg

So, @SquarePeg got me motivated to understand my new 80mm macro lens. This could probably be edited for improvement but I like it well enough to print. this is a an incamera JPEG considered for this challenge. I am sorry to say, I'm leaving it alone. I am not afraid of editing, admit to my ignorance, but I would not be inclined to edit this image. The challenge forced me to consider every function of the exposure. Successful or not, it taught me to try and get it right in the camera, so no edited image.
View attachment 151979

Wow the bokeh with that lens is unbelievably gorgeous. I wouldn't change a thing either.

View attachment 151979

Wow the bokeh with that lens is unbelievably gorgeous. I wouldn't change a thing either.
I haven't achieved the swirling bokeh, not for lack of trying. However, will try some portraits soon.

View attachment 151979

I haven't achieved the swirling bokeh, not for lack of trying. However, will try some portraits soon.

I read the swirling is most noticeable when you’re about 6 ft away and shooting into some backlighting.

Most reactions

Back