Well, I made the mistake of posting an ad on Craigslist....that's why I'm paranoid. I should not have done that. Oh well. I'll respond and see where it goes. I just didn't know if there was a way people could do something to my computer (virus or something) if I respond to a email.
The first thing that came to mind was, "that sounds like a craigs list reply".
Craigs List is the poor mans
ebay. People use it because they are looking for the cheapest deal they can get. Its used by a lot of people who don't have much money (read 'aren't very educated'). Replys that look like they came from a South African email scam aren't uncommon. I've used Craigs List for quite a few transactions, and it never ceases to amaze me some of the people who use it. A few years ago I gutted my bathroom and needed someone to take away all the scrap. I posted an add looking for someone, got a reply from someone who said they'd do it for $50... Sanford and Son showed up with their 70+ year old mother in a late 70's rusted out pickup. Sanford and Son pretty much stood around looking at the pieces parts talking about how much they could get for the scrap copper while the mother cleaned up most all of the full truck load.
Last summer I installed a paver patio, I did the labor myself, but I need to excavate out about 600sq ft 10" down. I posted an ad, I actually got 6 guys reply that they would do it... BY HAND SHOVELING.... one of them even needed me to supply the shovel.
Blah blah blah... sorry, I guess I got side tracked, but the bottom line is, you don't have anything to worry about those replys... The nice thing about Craigs List is that they don't supply your real email address (they use a craigs list email address that forwards to your real address) The only way for someone to get your address is if you reply to their message. Even if they do get your email address, there really isn't much they can do with it.
Bottom line... you aren't going to make a killing off of Craigs List adds that you post. The people that use it are looking for the best deal they can possibly find. If you are ever suspicious about a reply, don't answer.... You aren't going to be missing out on much.