Weird Emails??

JenLavazza

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jenlavazza.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, I have a question for those of you that have a photography business....Do you ever get weird emails asking for your pricing? I got my second one today (First on seemed more legit, but still odd...about a month ago).

Hi,

I saw your ads on the website.
I want to take maternity photos and I only need digital images with CD.
How much is the price about that?

Thanks.

I don't have any ads on a website and my pricing is clearly marked on my web page. Should I be answering these? They just come off weird to me.
Thanks!

That doesn't seem odd at all to me...

From what I've seen/heard, most photographers will do that instead of getting the actual prints done for the customer... Not sure what the going rate is for it though..

As far as not having any ads on a website, it does look like English is not the primary language here (and if it is, then I might be concerned) and they may have simply miscommunicated what they saw and where...

Or I could be completely wrong and you might want to ignore it ;) Just thought I'd try to help :)

Well, they're weird because how did they get my email address unless they went to my website?? If they went to my website my pricing is there....Digital images and print pricing. IDK. Maybe I'm just paranoid :crazy:

We know that we could put all of our information in black and white with big bold lettering and people would still ask us questions about it ... pretty much a lot of people are lazy and won't take the time to find the answer for themselves. Just shoot the photographer an e-mail and they'll respond, that's easy.

That being said, I also think that we as photographers have made it tough for people to understand our pricing (I'm not picking on you Jen, in fact, I haven't looked at your site -- sorry :( ) ... some of us have packages, some of us have an hourly rate, some of us do this and that, but won't do that ... So, I can kinda see where the potential client is coming from too ...

Never taking the risk of alienating any potential client I would respond to all e-mails; but in this situation I would ask a lot of open-ended questions in a response to find out how serious this potential client is, and to show that you will treat them professionally as well. I would treat this type of e-mail as an opening to a potential client and to start a dialog with them.

As for me, no, I haven't gotten this type of e-mail yet ...

Well, I made the mistake of posting an ad on Craigslist....that's why I'm paranoid. I should not have done that. Oh well. I'll respond and see where it goes. I just didn't know if there was a way people could do something to my computer (virus or something) if I respond to a email.

Well there you go ... that e-mail came right from cl and they didn't even GO to your website ...

Just don't open any attachments ... *poof*

Well, I made the mistake of posting an ad on Craigslist....that's why I'm paranoid. I should not have done that. Oh well. I'll respond and see where it goes. I just didn't know if there was a way people could do something to my computer (virus or something) if I respond to a email.

The first thing that came to mind was, "that sounds like a craigs list reply".

Craigs List is the poor mans ebay. People use it because they are looking for the cheapest deal they can get. Its used by a lot of people who don't have much money (read 'aren't very educated'). Replys that look like they came from a South African email scam aren't uncommon. I've used Craigs List for quite a few transactions, and it never ceases to amaze me some of the people who use it. A few years ago I gutted my bathroom and needed someone to take away all the scrap. I posted an add looking for someone, got a reply from someone who said they'd do it for $50... Sanford and Son showed up with their 70+ year old mother in a late 70's rusted out pickup. Sanford and Son pretty much stood around looking at the pieces parts talking about how much they could get for the scrap copper while the mother cleaned up most all of the full truck load.

Last summer I installed a paver patio, I did the labor myself, but I need to excavate out about 600sq ft 10" down. I posted an ad, I actually got 6 guys reply that they would do it... BY HAND SHOVELING.... one of them even needed me to supply the shovel.

Blah blah blah... sorry, I guess I got side tracked, but the bottom line is, you don't have anything to worry about those replys... The nice thing about Craigs List is that they don't supply your real email address (they use a craigs list email address that forwards to your real address) The only way for someone to get your address is if you reply to their message. Even if they do get your email address, there really isn't much they can do with it.

Bottom line... you aren't going to make a killing off of Craigs List adds that you post. The people that use it are looking for the best deal they can possibly find. If you are ever suspicious about a reply, don't answer.... You aren't going to be missing out on much.

i freaking hate craigslist. i got on there once to sell a couch and was FLOODED with spam... a guy in Canada was willing to purchase the couch and pay for shipping.... really idiot?? I live in Guam!!!

GRRR....

Its used by a lot of people who don't have much money (read 'aren't very educated').

Just wanted to mention that you should think about some things before you say them...

Just because someone is at the poverty level or lower and they don't have much money, doesn't necessarily mean they aren't very educated...

I am a single mom, full time student. I get about $4,000 every 4 months through student loans and that's all we have... I don't ask my parents for help (except that we live with them and eat meals with them)... My 3 year old is one of the most intelligent 3 year olds I have ever come across... And I used to be a pre-school teacher...

My 4 year old on the other hand has some developmental delays but those are genetics from her father's side of the family...

Long story short, you should think about things before you say them... This comment can be taken very offensively...

Most reactions

Back