Welding pics from today

Canon Fan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well I guess they sort of fall into the self portrait category as well because I am the welder but I'll post them here instead since you can't see my face.

Canon 10D - Manual Mode
Sigma 24-70mm 1:3.5-5.6 HF AS - Manual Focus Mode
f/38 - 0.7sec - 70mm x 1.6 - ISO100 - No Flash

spweld2102.jpg

spweld2105.jpg

awesome stuff! I had a sweet picture of my uncle doing some grinding with sparks flying i took 2 years ago or so for a class project.... i wish that was digital and i stll had it :(

nice shots though!!!

Really nice crisp shots and of course you used flash! :wink:

stevo12886 said:
so you did figure out how to take welding pics...im happy for you. They came out very well.
HA! Yup, took your advise, just set it up and went for broke. I was just worrying ALOT! Glad you like them, means alot from someone who has taken so many.

Nytmair said:
awesome stuff! I had a sweet picture of my uncle doing some grinding with sparks flying i took 2 years ago or so for a class project.... i wish that was digital and i stll had it :(

nice shots though!!!
Thanks! Actually I took some grinding pics the other day. I posted one here in the Self Portrait section.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2374&start=345

I'll be posting some of the clearer color versions later, I think :?

mrsid99 said:
Nope! No flash, the ARC from the welding was plenty to get the effects I wanted most of the time. I do however admit to a little strategic placement of guards to sheild the actuall arc from the line of sight and bounced it using some hi-polish aluminum tape though :wink:

Canon Fan said:
mrsid99 said:
Nope! No flash, the ARC from the welding was plenty to get the effects I wanted most of the time. I do however admit to a little strategic placement of guards to sheild the actuall arc from the line of sight and bounced it using some hi-polish aluminum tape though :wink:

Apologies for my weak attempt at humor (as usual!) but I was implying the welding arc was the flash. Darn nice pics though.

mrsid99 said:
Canon Fan said:
mrsid99 said:

Apologies for my weak attempt at humor (as usual!) but I was implying the welding arc was the flash. Darn nice pics though.
Uh, Oh, Um I see! J/K! Ya well I'm just really slow mentally right now! I see what you mean though. If I would have thought just a bit I would have remembered that that is exactly why I decided not to use any! duh.

Oh my gawd!!!

You know what I read all the time??????????? In the title to this thread, that is????

"Wedding pics"

And I was asking myself: Where are they???? What kind of wedding is this???"

Ooops, must go get my eyes newly adjusted, I think!

Those little red sparks - super! And the light from the only light source there was - like a Rembrand painting!

Awsome! Very Very nice.

The light trails from the sparks are so sharp. Good job.

Is it possible to fashion sort of filter in front of the lens to protect from the bright arc yet allow you to include it in the photo?

Heh heh...LaFoto...I read the SAME THING in the title!!!! So don't feel bad, cuz I can't read, either! Neat pics. I like seeing the movement of the sparks....kinda like the fireworks pics I took! Heh heh...and thanks to things like this...and the recent fireworks...it's kinda inspiring me to do think up some more 'light movement' pics. Hmmm....

Neat pictures, love the arcs of light. I too was among those who saw "wedding" and not "welding"

Thanks again everyone! Glad you all like it.

usayit said:
Awsome! Very Very nice.

The light trails from the sparks are so sharp. Good job.

Is it possible to fashion sort of filter in front of the lens to protect from the bright arc yet allow you to include it in the photo?
Yes, but you don't need a filter. You just already know that the arc will definately be totally blown out, which is ok, you just need to expect it ahead of time. This is one of the ones I did without sheilding the arc. I got the star effect through stopping down to f/38 and shooting almost straight on.

weld2110.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back