Chris of Arabia

Herding cats since 1988...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As many of you know, for the most part of the last 8 years I've been living in Riyadh in Saudi Arabia. Generally speaking, it's known as a hot country, a very hot country and the temperature can exceed 50C in the hieght of the summer, even when it gets cold, it isn't really cold like most of you would know.

Except just now that is, we're currently experiencing the coldest temperatures in over 20 years. This morning the guage in the car said it was -1C and there were actual patches of frozen water on the ground, not frost you notice, frozen stuff like you could slip on (if you wanted too). There is a forecast that it may even snow here today, difficult to see that happening looking out the window as there isn't a cloud in the sky. More reports later as the situation develops.

Should I add that this all happens when GWB is in town, just up the road at the King's farm. Global warming? Pah!

-1 in Riyadh????!!! That's incredible! And if it snows, well, can the apocalypse be far off? (Kidding). Seriously, if it snows, that could make for some interesting photo ops.

My brother was saying it was snowing in Iraq for the first time in the last hundred years, I have not looked into it but .......

I blame the Tsunami a few years back.

-1 in Riyadh????!!! That's incredible! And if it snows, well, can the apocalypse be far off? (Kidding). Seriously, if it snows, that could make for some interesting photo ops.

The -1C was a daylight temperature too. The last couple of nights it's been forecast for -7C and -8C. I didn't go out to check...

WEATHER UPDATE: Still no snow I'm afraid. Nice clear blue sky though and I'd far rather be out there with my camera testing my polariser out. Just for a change there isn't the usual 'smog' of desert dust hanging in the air.

More later...

...mustn't post first thought of response..

Actually, they're very well adapted to many climactic conditions, including cold ones. Can't imagine all of the migratory birds that appear in the winter are enjoying it much though.

just shoot a PM...

Actually, they're very well adapted to many climactic conditions, including cold ones. Can't imagine all of the migratory birds that appear in the winter are enjoying it much though.

Good for the camels, badfor the birds... do they iceskate much? The camels, that is.

Most reactions

Back