Well what else would I test the Tamron 150-600 on?

Danny you have me really thinking now. I have avoided using Wifeys 70d, but I should put the Tampster on it to see if there are any significant differences getting BIF.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think Tamron has a firmware update that addresses the AF issue on some bodies.

Danny you have me really thinking now. I have avoided using Wifeys 70d, but I should put the Tampster on it to see if there are any significant differences getting BIF.
If you can that would be good Jaca. The guy I was talking to was just saying it was not that good for BIF's. But here we are with BIF's from Kris ...... I must check your flickr account again Jaca. Having said that, this guy uses Canon fast lenses as well, so maybe its an F/stop thing with PDAF at F/6.3 (like the old Canon lenses, original versions when used with a 2x TC), I'm not sure to be honest. Maybe its just that he hasn't thrown the right switches or settings, that could well be it and knowing him, it wouldn't surprise me ;)
All the best and be interesting to know your guys thoughts on it.
Danny.
It actually tracks BIF fine as long as there is decent contrast. The D7100 focuses at F8 so that isn't a problem. I think there was a glitch with certain Canon bodies. The 120-300 Tracks much better, but of course there is much more light getting to the AF system at F2.8.
How do you get that kinds of images on that high ISO? I must be doing something wrong because I seem to lose feather detail a lot more than you when using higher ISO numbers...
Are you talking about the 20K shot? You have to be really close and not crop, lol...

Jeepers creeper Kris! And you're still 'wondering' ?..
Nancy
Yup, it's not quite the level of Sharpness I was expecting. I need a few more days with it. But I can tell it was front focusing a touch. I didn't adjust it till the end of shooting yesterday..
Could just be me but the sharpness just doesn't look right, does anybody else see this or is it just me.
I agree 100%, but I also didn't do my normal sharpening. It is in a different league than the 120-300, but still pretty acceptable sharpness.. Here is one I did some sharpening to..
Day 1 Tamron 150-600 by krisinct- Thanks for 1 Million + views!, on Flickr

I need me a lens that gets that close =D
Here's the thing, everyone thinks they need more reach. The truth of the matter is you have to still get close and just let the lens be the lens. This whole post was shot at 300mm on my 120-300.. http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/nature-wildlife/360154-colorful-afternoon-pic-heavy.html

Kris, you're right .. not up to par. So I recommend that you quickly Box that lens up and send it to me.
I'll take care of it from this point on. No problem.

seriously though ... those photos are awesome. Makes me want to have one and go birding.

I have been looking around at birding places but big birds don't like this area.
FWIW though, during a soccer game we were visited by turkey buzzards and later some Hawk was flying through being attacked by black bird (diving bombing up and down).

I'd be curious to see lower light samples.

Kris, you're right .. not up to par. So I recommend that you quickly Box that lens up and send it to me.

seriously though ... those photos are awesome. Makes me want to have one and go birding.

I have been looking around at birding places but big birds don't like this area.
FWIW though, during a soccer game we were visited by turkey buzzards and later some Hawk was flying through being attacked by black bird (diving bombing up and down).
have you checked here? http://ebird.org/ebird/eBirdReports?cmd=Start

I'd be curious to see lower light samples.
LOL, did you see the one halfway down the first page at ISO 20000?

I was so waiting to look at these pics.. And I agree with runnah, it'd be interesting to see how it performs in low light.

have you checked here? http://ebird.org/ebird/eBirdReports?cmd=Start

Yes I have checked out that website. There's not much around here.
There are a few places I'm going to go to per that map.
But myself just seeing turkey buzzards, red tail hawk etc I could double the sightings in this area lol

Those are really sharp looking!

If you can that would be good Jaca. The guy I was talking to was just saying it was not that good for BIF's. But here we are with BIF's from Kris ...... I must check your flickr account again Jaca. Having said that, this guy uses Canon fast lenses as well, so maybe its an F/stop thing with PDAF at F/6.3 (like the old Canon lenses, original versions when used with a 2x TC), I'm not sure to be honest. Maybe its just that he hasn't thrown the right switches or settings, that could well be it and knowing him, it wouldn't surprise me ;)

All the best and be interesting to know your guys thoughts on it.

Danny.

I am actually hoping to meet up with a fellow birdographer to let him borrow the lens. He has also heard of it not being up to par for BIF's. I really want to see how well he and it does because he shoots with a 5d mIII. Being able to adjust focus tracking priority could drive me crazy. Maybe it's better that I stick to what I have and continue hoping for the best. :raisedbrow:

Thanks Kris and Jaca. I won't annoy you guys about it until you get to try it all. It's always a time thing with new gear and it does take time to settle into it. Jaca has superb sharp shots with it anyway and Kris is getting some great BIF's, so I would still get one if I was going AF for sure. Crazy ISO there Kris ;)

What Kris said about still needing to get close no matter what focal length is bang on the money. Even if you shoot with a 1200mm, the closer you are the more the fine details show.

All the best and looking great Kris.

Danny.

Wow! after sharpening the pic. If that's all it takes I think it will work just fine.

Here are some more shots. I tried to get the bird to sit still, but no luck. Just to give an idea of various focal lengths and sharpness all at F8, next time I will shoot them wide open.... cropped to sorta the same size.. Normal processing here...
300(oops 320)
Tamron at 320 F8 by krisinct- Thanks for 1 Million + views!, on Flickr
Tamron at 400 F8 by krisinct- Thanks for 1 Million + views!, on Flickr
Tamron at 500 F8 by krisinct- Thanks for 1 Million + views!, on Flickr
Tamron at 600 F8 by krisinct- Thanks for 1 Million + views!, on Flickr

And then another "normally processed" shot...
Osprey in flight by krisinct- Thanks for 1 Million + views!, on Flickr

Gees, nice details in the Swallows Kris. Obviously looking at what you are taking, BIF is not an issue ;) Brian must be doing something wrong for sure. That last Osprey shot is fantastic ! No nits there at all Kris. Going to be great to watch the progress from here. ;) I'm looking forward to it.

Danny.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back