Well, you guys were right...

Sammie_Lou

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I picked up Understanding Exposure today and, although I'm only about 35 pages in, I already feel like I've learned a lot. Lots of stuff that I kinda sorta understood bits and pieces of before makes SO much more sense now. I can't wait to get through the rest of the book. There is one part that bugged me, though - in the beginning, he said to throw away your camera manual. Well, half of the stuff he's asking me to play around with, I wouldn't even know where to adjust without having my manual on hand. lol But I guess that's only one small complaint so far, greatly outweighed by the good.

That's because it is overrated and generally only recommended by other newbies who just figured out how to set their ISO, shutter speed, and aperture to get a reasonable exposure.

Any normal book on photography contains the same info but it generally isn't as dumbed down.

My recommendation usually tends towards going to your local Half Priced Books and picking up a few books that you enjoy the writing style and photography, think will help, and that you enjoy reading.

I typically recommend authors like Scott Kelby or Rick Sammon for the creative side.

As far as the technical side, they are all about the same. Heck, there aren't any secrets out there. Only exception would be Light Science and Magic which is truly exceptional. Just my .02

Last edited:
I didn't even spent any money on courses or books lol...

Yeah, I personally think he comes off as a nitwit. I watched a video of him setting up a cliche 'lime-in-bubbly-water' shot and he's a goofball with a mullet.

I do like the dumbed down aspect of the book, actually. lol I've tried reading other books, but when you have ZERO understanding of these terms at all, it all goes right over your head. I'm sure I'll advance to other books at some point, but for right now, this one is working out for me (as long as I ignore him and don't throw out my camera manual).

I enjoyed the book as well Sammie. It helped me a great deal, since I had no understanding (and still struggle) with the concept of photography.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back