Went to the zoo and disapointed myself.

Why are you shooting in Manual mode??
To learn my camera. To learn what works best in which light.
Well, okay. But I think you're going to have more dissapointed trips by following that method, and you won't learn what you need to learn.

See you're pretty much correct...Exposure Compensation is important...but learning how to do it *manually* is evermore important than using Auto and letting your camera compensate for it.

Learning how Exposure works on a physical level will help a good photographer use Manual mode to its maximum potential...which includes compensating for nearly any kind of subject matter *MANUALLY* which can almost always help you achieve a better picture...if you know what you're going for. Having direct control over every aspect means you not only get a good picture, but you get it the way you want it. Getting the perfect exposure is only important if you can also get the perfect depth of field and perfect capture speed.

After all, a blurry photo is a blurry photo no matter if it's perfectly exposed or drastically brightened. ;)

I am not trying to give the impression that I try to shoot in manual mode only. Most of my shooting is done in aperture mode (A). While I still have control over several settings, I call it my "semi-auto" mode.

Sometimes, I like to play around and test myself.

I check nearly every shot I take and look at what the settings were. I then make a note in my head that on the next similar shot, I try to make it better.

Someone said that I need to read manuals to learn this. That is not how I learn. I am a hands on person. I can read all day and not learn anything. It WILL take me longer to learn something than most people, but I will learn it. That said, I am open to anything constructive.

What is going on in here?

If you don't think you learn anything shooting in Manual mode, then you're confused.

If shooting in a Semi-Auto mode, selecting one input, having the camera select the others while aiming for a boring middle gray; and adding in a bit of exposure compensation to direct the camera to a "new" gray is where the learning begins, then I'll be content being unlearnedededd

I am saying I do learn by using manual settings, I just don't use it all the time. I don't learn by reading, I learn by doing.

The exception to the rule is in a setting such as this forum. I can read something, ask questions and receive answers until I understand.

Manual all the way ;)

Of course, I do understand what Graystar means, when he says, that using manual right at the beginning might not be the best way to go.
I'm 50/50 on that one. I started off shooting only in manual - some pretty weird results came out, so, read some more on the issue, had a few more trials...and a few more, and now, not sure if my camera has an AUTO mode...haven't seen it in a while ;)

But, Aperture priority or Shutter priority are also great modes to get into the field of "manually" composing pictures.

Love the lilies by the way, just had to say that ;)

Three pages to illustrate the very basic concept that the camera's light meter is designed to average the range of tones into a middle gray?

If you don't want gray snow, overexpose by 2 stops. If you want a black cat and not a gray cat, underexpose by a stop or two.

Thank you, and good night.

:peacesign:

When you’re in Manual mode you select one input, and then “automatically” adjust the other to zero the Exposure Indicator. Then you direct the camera to a “new” gray by over or under exposing, based on your assessment of the scene.

Please explain how that is any different than what you described. As I said before...using an auto mode is no easier than using Manual. You still need to learn how to compensate for exposure. The big difference is that compensation is treated separately...it doesn’t get lumped into the process of setting exposure. This fact makes it easier to understand.

Here you have a function whose singular purpose is to adjust for differences in illuminance. Well, that kinda forces you to understand why scenes vary in illuminance in the first place.
We all know there are many different combinations to achieve a "proper" exposure, but generally there is really only one combination for the creative exposure (the ideal shot). When shooting in manual mode, the process is fast and deliberate, you use your knowledge of aperture, ISO, and shutter speeds with the conditions present, and make your adjustments.
You know your limitations when hand holding (shutter), you know your sensors acceptable ISO ranges (for noise), and you should have an idea of what aperture you want for the given shot. Part of the learning with manual mode is how all these come together and on top of that how you can manipulate all these to get the best creative shot at any given scene.
Yes most people will read the light meter and adjust their shutter to a balance, and then from there decide if that is an acceptable exposure. If not a simple flick on one of the dials takes you to a new exposure.
Some photographers demand consistency, and manual mode is an awesome way to ensure your shots are consistent from frame to frame. Whether it's for something like consistent, swift editing in LR, or for a Pano stitch with varying lighting conditions or shades.
Using manual mode when you don't understand how the settings all come together, isn't going to benefit a new recruit. The process of reading, learning, trial/error, and putting those ingredients together to create a desireable end result, strengthens a new photographers skills and understanding of what's going on with their camera/photos. Therefore it is a useful tool in learning about photography.

I shoot Aperture Priority and Manual, with any other mode filling in less then 1% of the residual time, in case it appears as though I don't believe in Semi-Automatic modes.

Well, I get the impression you like to argue your point, so I'll just say agree to disagree. You have your way, and that's cool. I do however remember readings in one of Bryan Peterson's books that P mode stands for Poor Choice, so at least I know I'm not the only one in the world who feels that way.

I had a play with the first one to see what I could recover. I think you missed the focus slighlty, ended up in between somewhere.

my quick and dirty

2fqascig.jpg

I like how you saved some of the detail in the white lily. I must have spent an hour trying to do that before writing it off as a loss. How did you do it?

Why are you shooting in Manual mode??

To learn my camera. To learn what works best in which light.

My thoughts exactly.

One of the features I still have not learned.

The second one is way over exposed. The original is nearly white.

Learn how to what? Manual mode doesn't teach you anything.
Doesn't teach you anything??? It teaches you to learn and understand the balance of aperture, shutter speed, ISO and just how to use light!

Doesn't teach you anything, pshh. It's the fundamentals of photography.

Well said.

This picture is quite beautiful. Great job!

Would have thought you would take more pictures of animal when you are at the zoo instead of the pond!

Anyone trying to learn basics, and has read this thread has just jumped off the tallest building they could find, head first...:er:

Discussions such as this between those who choose to participate are just so, so for the average beginner, but make for good discourse.

Learning:
There are five learning styles, and some people actually have an overlap into some of the different learning styles. So, regardless of how one here may learn, it does not mean that others may learn the same via the same style.

I say, go out and choose the way you want to learn, and try to have some fun doing it.

I did! They were all badly overexposed or poorly composed. I will be going back soon. I'm just waiting on the weather to clear up on one of my days off. My GF is in China for the next two weeks, so I should have more opportunities to go out and take photos. I will be going to FT. Caroline or Princess Place on Tuesday. Both are local nature preserves/parks.

Most reactions

Back