What 35mm film camera offers top of the range lenses and is compatible with modern strobes

Seth Baldwin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm needing a 35mm film camera that is reliable, offers top of the range lenses and is compatible with modern strobes from Profoto and other brands. I typically am shooting stocks at around 50 - 100 ASA which I'll commonly want to shoot 2 stops over as well, so output is very important.

A couple I've looked at so far are the Canon EOS 1V and the Nikon F6 and F5. However I haven't found much information online about how they perform with strobes, or even if they can at all. If they can't, what other options do I have on the market?

Cheers.

Last edited:
The F5 and F6 certainly can. Especially with Nikon flash units.

Last edited:
I think you are talking about studio strobes, so "high speed sync" is probably not applicable as I think that is only available with the OEM or clone shoe flash.
The F5 and F6 will sync at 1/250.
A Hasselblad would get you up to 1/500, but it is a 120/6x6 camera. The leaf shutter will sync at their max speeds of 1/500.

Will Profoto Radio Transmitters work with the F6 hot shoe? How does TLL work with the F6 as well.

Will Profoto Radio Transmitters work with the F6 hot shoe? How does TLL work with the F6 as well.
Film and digital TTL are different.
Film TTL measures the flash off the surface of the film, there is no pre-flash.
At least this is the way it used to be.​
Digital, uses pre-flash to determine the exposure, then followed by the exposure flash.

The F4 or F5 are a great choice if you are on a limited budget. They will both work with all of Nikon's manual or auto focus lenses. The F6 is lighter than the F5 but only recently discontinued, is it considerably more expensive even used. I have an F4E and love it.

If the strobe and camera have a pc socket, all you need is a pc sync cord and they're cheap. They come in many lengths.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back