what am i doing wrong???

KVB1085

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
it seems my pictures all tend to come out a bit fuzzy....

now i'm still learning... and i wasn't using a tripod.. but my shutter speed was relatively quick... (i don't remember which settings...)

i was trying to work with focusing one either the statue or the flowers in different pictures.. (so unless i'm mistaken my "depth of field) and a few came out "alright" but like i said most are a bit fuzzy.... my iso was at 200 the whole time... i don't remember my fstop.. and i'm at work so i can't pull it up at the moment... anyways.. any advice??? oh i was using my kit lens 18-55mm with a polarizer on a nikon d70... also i'm not shooting in raw as i don't have the software to work with it yet...

here are the pics...

DSC_0473.jpg

DSC_0475.jpg

DSC_0476.jpg

DSC_0477.jpg

DSC_0472.jpg

DSC_0471.jpg

DSC_0470.jpg

DSC_0469.jpg

DSC_0468.jpg

DSC_0467.jpg

DSC_0466.jpg

DSC_0465.jpg

(yes i know they are all similar shots... i'm at work, and that's the only thing that i found interesting enough to shoot... and i'm trying to learn to shoot in M...)

well it looks like it was overcast so maybe you needed an even faster shutter speed, or a tripod?
Were you trying to have the whole picture in focus, or were you focussing on the statue?

I dont really know though Im just a beginner too.

It will be hard to say until you can tell us the settings. And were you using manual or auto focus?

im just a beginner too but it seems that there is no real focus, as in the statue or the background at any time, just a bit of all at once focusing, that has probably been one of the probs, at a quick glance it also seems to me that they're a bit on the darkside...

i dunno, the idea behind it looks good, you should try it again

also, what you doing on the forum whilst at work? eh? haha just kidding

Here's your Exif Data:
Camera Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Camera Model: NIKON D70s
Image Date: 2008:02:26 14:06:01
Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 55.0mm (35mm equivalent: 82mm)
Exposure Time: 0.167 s (1/6)
Aperture: f/16.0
White Balance: Manual
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual

Exposure time is 1/6 seconds on your first photo...this explains why it is so blurry. On your sharper photos you're looking at 1/10 second. You need at least 1/20 to 1/30 for anything handheld, and this is assuming you have very steady hands. You need to have quicker shutter speeds, bottom line. If you can't do this because you're lens doesn't have a larger aperture, you can increase your ISO or use a tripod. Hope this answers you're question.

If you're wondering how I got your exif data, I have a plugin for Firefox that allows me to see exif data in photo properties. You can get the plugin by doing a search for "firefox plugin exif data"

It will be hard to say until you can tell us the settings. And were you using manual or auto focus?

auto focus....

no tripod...

i was focusing on the flowers in some shots...

and in some on the statue...

in most pictures the settings were:
iso 200
wb- cloudy +3
shutter-1/10
aperture f16

now my shutter and aperture range a bit from picture to picture... but my meter always read correct exposure...

ss ranged from 1/6-1/10
aperture from f9.5-22.... f13+16 were used more than anything.

im just a beginner too but it seems that there is no real focus, as in the statue or the background at any time, just a bit of all at once focusing, that has probably been one of the probs, at a quick glance it also seems to me that they're a bit on the darkside...

i dunno, the idea behind it looks good, you should try it again

also, what you doing on the forum whilst at work? eh? haha just kidding

no i'm not! lol:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Now that I'm looking closer at your Exif data, you were shooting at an aperture of f/16. Drop that down to f/8 or so and increase your shutter speed by quite a bit. Most lenses are sharpest at anywhere from roughly f/5.6 to f/8. At f/16 you may be getting close to being counter productive in terms of lens sharpness stopped down. Hopefully this makes sense. If not let me know. You can't take sharp pictures without decently fast shutter speeds handheld, and to achieve that you may need to change ISO or aperture...or add a flash.

Here's your Exif Data:
Camera Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Camera Model: NIKON D70s
Image Date: 2008:02:26 14:06:01
Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 55.0mm (35mm equivalent: 82mm)
Exposure Time: 0.167 s (1/6)
Aperture: f/16.0
White Balance: Manual
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual

Exposure time is 1/6 seconds on your first photo...this explains why it is so blurry. On your sharper photos you're looking at 1/10 second. You need at least 1/20 to 1/30 for anything handheld, and this is assuming you have very steady hands. You need to have quicker shutter speeds, bottom line. If you can't do this because you're lens doesn't have a larger aperture, you can increase your ISO or use a tripod. Hope this answers you're question.

ah, thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that's prolly the case with all my photos then.... i do need some quicker lenses.. that's for sure... i just bought one online as a matter of fact.. just waiting for it to come in... i guess i just need a better understanding of what is considered a quick shutter speed!! lol.

i got some of the settings as well right after you did!! lol...

i'm gonna try this stuff again when i get a chance...

Now that I'm looking closer at your Exif data, you were shooting at an aperture of f/16. Drop that down to f/8 or so and increase your shutter speed by quite a bit. Most lenses are sharpest at anywhere from roughly f/5.6 to f/8. At f/16 you may be getting close to being counter productive in terms of lens sharpness stopped down.

cool.... i wish i had a few minutes to go try this right now!!!

i do have a tripod... i need to try that too... but i can't get these same spots with the tripod...

I would honestly say your lenses are fast enough right now, you just need to use them to their abilities. You've got you're shots stopped down quite a bit (f/16). You could easily shoot at f/5.6 which all your lenses should be able to do. I'd only worry about faster lenses if you're shooting inside in low-lit areas.

I would honestly say your lenses are fast enough right now, you just need to use them to their abilities. You've got you're shots stopped down quite a bit (f/16). You could easily shoot at f/5.6 which all your lenses should be able to do. I'd only worry about faster lenses if you're shooting inside in low-lit areas.

yeah, i've got a 55-200mm 1:4-5.6G ED

and a 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G ED

both nikkor...

Those will work for most things, except probably indoor low-light shots. In which case you could use a flash (not the one built into the camera please) and bounce the flash off a wall or ceiling.

Those will work for most things, except probably indoor low-light shots. In which case you could use a flash (not the one built into the camera please) and bounce the flash off a wall or ceiling.

lol, yeah i need to by a flash yet...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back