What are some of your favorite places/things to photograph?

Hi I'm new here and I am getting into photography. How did you guys develop your "eye" for what it is you like to take pictures of? I like landscapes and scereny but how do you know that you have a good picture? Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks.

Okay, this sounds really dippy & it looks even goofier, but here's one thing you can do...

Find a empty 35mm slide mount. Attach a piece of string to it (glue, through a hole- whatever). Now set your camera up on a tripod or something else solid so you can look through the viewfinder (or lcd).

Now, hold the string between thumb and fingers of one hand and the slide mount in the other. Move the slide mount closer or farther away from your eye until what you see through the hole in the slide mount is close to what you see in the camera viewfinder.

Mark the string with a marker, or a tape flag or something. Now you can walk around like a regular pro-photographer-in-training with your "framing aid" and look at the world. If it looks good in the aid, it'll probably look good in the camera. Assuming proper focus, exposure, etc.

Do it every day. after awhile it becomes second nature and you can do it without the aid. The nice part is it taks up almost no space and you can slip it into your pocket and cary it all the time.

You can make a mark on the string for different lenses (or zoom settings) to make it multi-functional.

Try it, you'll like it! Just don't look at yourself in the mirror while doing it. You die laughing and not get any pictures taken. :D

My wife has a beautiful flower garden. I couldn't tell you the names of the flowers that I take pictures of, she just tells me not to step on anything. Also I live in a beautiful small town on a lake. The harbor and the boats are always interesting subjects.

Attention, Metroshane -
I am very interested in doing this type of portrait. I understand, besides the lighting, that most photographers doing this use fabric based paper, plus manipulation of the image, either in the dark room or on a photo shop type software.

Please tell us more, how are you doing this ?

I tried to post this earlier, so my apologies if both of these bob to the surface.
Shane, I would really like to hear more about your Hollywood Style portraits.

Regarding foot paths and walk ways, once I found a Hello My Name Is sticker, attached to the pavement, with the name Ben on it. I took an extreme closeup of it, and framed it up and gave it to ...Ben... for a Christmas gift. I called it "Ben, Stuck Down Town on Watson Street."

Sometimes it pays to walk with your head hung low. Ha

I really like to photograph every day life. I find it very challenging because technically, everything is everyday life, but not everything makes a nice composition.
I used to like nature photography, but honestly got a little bored with it. Theres no feeling in it...

Most reactions

Back