What are the best methods to learn more about photography and use of SLR camera?

CaptainNapalm

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello Everyone. I'm new to this forum, just wanted to say hello to everyone and ask a question which I'm hoping those of you with some experience can help me answer.

In the past few years I developed a growing interest in photography and lately it has become my main hobby. I enjoy taking lots of photos on vacations and then using software such as PSE for touchups and organizing. I have owned several point and shoot cameras in the past ten years with my current one being what they call a bridge camera – Canon Powershot SX40 HS. I am now looking to upgrade to a DSLR, still deciding which one to go with but this is a separate topic.

I would like to learn more about photography and using SLR cameras properly and to their full potential so I have two options. I can either invest in a book or two and self teach myself at my own pace or enroll in self-interest photography courses where there are instructors. Obviously the courses will be more expensive but I’m wondering if they will be more effective and worth the money. For those of you more experienced with photography and your SLRs, would you recommend taking courses or do you believe that with time and the correct references and books one can learn all they need to know on their own?

My near future goals are to learn more about photography and how to use the SLR camera to its full potential. I have always been told I have an eye for taking great pictures so depending on how I continue to like the hobby and how good I get at it, possibly in the more distant future I would consider being a part time photographer to supplement my income while maintaining my full time job. Given those goals, would you guys recommend self interest courses or books? Thanks in advance for taking the time!

Captain

as to what is more effective, books and self paced, or paying more and taking a class, that TOTALLY 100% depends on how you learn. I'd personally say books are probably better, but I also tend to learn better that way, unless I have an all world type master teacher.

I think the best books are (in roughly the order I'd read them):
Your camera's manual
One of the expanded guides for whatever make of dSLR you have, for example David Busch's D7000 guide
Scott Kelby's: Digital Photography 4 volume boxed set
Michael Freeman's: The Photographer's eye
Michael Freeman's: Perfect Exposure
Joe McNally's: Sketching Light
Hunter, Biver and Fuqua's: Light, Science and Magic

as to what is more effective, books and self paced, or paying more and taking a class, that TOTALLY 100% depends on how you learn. I'd personally say books are probably better, but I also tend to learn better that way, unless I have an all world type master teacher.

I think the best books are (in roughly the order I'd read them):
Your camera's manual
One of the expanded guides for whatever make of dSLR you have, for example David Busch's D7000 guide
Scott Kelby's: Digital Photography 4 volume boxed set
Michael Freeman's: The Photographer's eye
Michael Freeman's: Perfect Exposure
Joe McNally's: Sketching Light
Hunter, Biver and Fuqua's: Light, Science and Magic

Thanks fjrabon. I will definately check out those books. I too tend to learn best on my own accord I just thought maybe in person classes will teach you things more effectively.

Cambridge in Color has an EXCELLENT series of tutorials, and YouTube has a wealth of information on everything from basic 'How to' to advanced lighting, but, the single most valuable and useful tool is your camera's manual! Read it, and then read it again. Practice with it nearby, and refer to it often!

Books are pretty good instructional tools. Most schools, colleges, and universities use a lot of books. So do seminaries, medical schools, and even trade schools. Books allow you to "see" the lessons, one after another after another, and are always "there", so you can refer back to the material and lessons and the concepts.

Learning well requires effort on the part of the student. You will get out only what you put into the learning process. Garbage in, garbage out. Effort in, benefit out. Either with book learning, or hands-on "coursework" learning, apprenticeship, whatever.

Cambridge in Color has an EXCELLENT series of tutorials, and YouTube has a wealth of information on everything from basic 'How to' to advanced lighting, but, the single most valuable and useful tool is your camera's manual! Read it, and then read it again. Practice with it nearby, and refer to it often!

Thanks tirediron. I spend so much time on the internet and infront of the computer these days that I'm trying to avoid doing anything from online sources and try something different like hard copy books or hands on course. I will check out the info you mention and definately keep close reference to my camera manual.

Books are pretty good instructional tools. Most schools, colleges, and universities use a lot of books. So do seminaries, medical schools, and even trade schools. Books allow you to "see" the lessons, one after another after another, and are always "there", so you can refer back to the material and lessons and the concepts.

Learning well requires effort on the part of the student. You will get out only what you put into the learning process. Garbage in, garbage out. Effort in, benefit out. Either with book learning, or hands-on "coursework" learning, apprenticeship, whatever.

Thanks Derrel!

yeah, I essentially learned EVERYTHING I know about photography within the last year from a mix of the books I mentioned above, this forum, strobists' blog, a few other blogs (joe mcnally, zack arias) and then a few months ago, working in a photography studio.

I learned enough to get a job in a studio in 8 months just from books and the internet. Never taken a single class. That isn't to brag, and in some ways I wish I could take some classes, but I'm just saying you certainly don't 'need' them.

I find I best learn by having a book, learning some concepts, applying them to some 'shoots' (real or constructed) coming on here and asking for questions/feedback and then repeating the process all over again.

I cyber stalked Derrel until he agreed to help me.

No, as mentioned above is all great. Also, read threads on this site and get out and take pictures, put them on here and ask for feedback. When you do, don't get defensive, even though it is REALLY hard to do. The people on this website will help you with honesty about your work. When you can get good reviews here for your work, then everyone else will absolutely love it.

Good luck as you start this journey.

I cyber stalked Derrel until he agreed to help me.

No, as mentioned above is all great. Also, read threads on this site and get out and take pictures, put them on here and ask for feedback. When you do, don't get defensive, even though it is REALLY hard to do. The people on this website will help you with honesty about your work. When you can get good reviews here for your work, then everyone else will absolutely love it.

Good luck as you start this journey.

Thanks ronlane!

Thanks tirediron. I spend so much time on the internet and infront of the computer these days that I'm trying to avoid doing anything from online sources and try something different like hard copy books or hands on course. I will check out the info you mention and definately keep close reference to my camera manual.

Why buy when you can read for FREE on the internet? :scratch:

You won't find better tutorials than those listed on Cambridge in Color, and they are FREE!

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I think courses are the best. Yeah there expensive but nothing beats 1 on learning with someone who is experienced. It really matters what type of learner you are though.

another issue I have with courses, especially the 'at the local tech school' sort, is that it's pretty rare for a teacher to be both a great teacher, and a great photographer. Sure, they're out there, but it's rare. Usually the great teachers are great communicators, but don't really know photography inside and out, and the great photographers have a hard time communicating their ideas verbally (because their best mode of communication is visual imagery).

Why buy when you can read for FREE on the internet? :scratch:
Few books are available, for free, for reading on the Internet.
If book cost is an issue, a lot of used books are available for quite a bit less than the cost of the same book new.

A lot of the information one needs/wants that is on the Internet, is in a variety of places, and not in any logical order. A book tends to put related information all in one place, and in a more logical sequence.

Because there are some places I like to read that are not amenable to using the Internet.

Because many of us just like the feel, smell, look, and heft of a book.

I recently switched from p&s to DSLR and it has massively changed how I view photography.

Even with a simple entry DSLR like my D5100, photography is now so much faster and easier to control in the parameters. For example, I can switch my D5100 on and take a picture in a single movement and second.

Still, if I could travel back in time, I would tell my past self to get the D7000 instead. Thats a camera that can last you for years. The D5100 is more of a starter drug into "real" photography. Most of the things are present, but theres just a lack of perfection in the details.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back