What are you reading?

I'm making my way through two books, which is unusual for me.

I started both House Made of Dawn by N.Scott Momoday and Tar Baby by Toni Morrison for my book club. Neither has grabbed me all that much. I've read Momoday before but it was a different sort of a book than this one. It's great writing but a very slow story so not really a page-turner. So I started it but didn't finish it for the book club meeting. Then came another month and another book, so I decided to start the Morrison book and read the two books at the same time. Well, that one is also pretty slow going. I've read plenty of Morrison's work and I know what a great story teller she is, so I have a feeling it's going to pick up as I get further into it. And I am almost compulsive about finishing just about any book that I start, so no matter how slow, I have to finish them.

I've been in a bit of a reading slump so I was afraid I was losing my ability to just sink into a book and get lost in it - the kind of lost that used to make my mother crazy when I was a kid, because she'd have to literally take the book out of my hand before I would notice that she had been yelling for me for 10 minutes straight.

Then I picked up Educated by Tara Westover for another book club meeting and I blew through it in 2 days. Couldn't put it down. Didn't care about meal times or bed times. So yeah, I've still got it ;) That's a much more familiar feeling to me than the one I get when I realize that I've been reading the same book for weeks.

You made me laugh when you said the part about your mom yelling. I grew up in a rural area of the country with no nearby neighbors to play with. My siblings were both girls, and I didn't share their likes, so I discovered reading early. My grandmother and I used to swap copies of Louis L'Amour westerns, and my dad would take me to the municipal library in the summer when school was out to find what I could occupy my spare time ( usually at night after chores and work for local farmers had left me with weariness and a way to fall asleep from the the night's reading ). The yelling I got was how I was " ruining my eyes " in the low light:1247:

You made me laugh when you said the part about your mom yelling. I grew up in a rural area of the country with no nearby neighbors to play with. My siblings were both girls, and I didn't share their likes, so I discovered reading early. My grandmother and I used to swap copies of Louis L'Amour westerns, and my dad would take me to the municipal library in the summer when school was out to find what I could occupy my spare time ( usually at night after chores and work for local farmers had left me with weariness and a way to fall asleep from the the night's reading ). The yelling I got was how I was " ruining my eyes " in the low light:1247:

I have four siblings and I am the youngest, so I was either totally ignored by my siblings or was sucked into the chaos of a large Portuguese family. :) Reading became my refuge and my escape. My mother took me to the library all the time - it was one of my favorite places in the whole world. My father liked that I was reading but he hated when I read in the car. He wanted me to "see the world." I kept saying, "We're on the same roads all the time, I've seen them already!" :lol:

And yes, I was constantly being told that I would be ruining my eyes. More than once, I would suddenly be startled from my reading to find that it was almost totally dark in the room. When I looked back at the book, I could barely see it at all. I still don't know how I had been able to read!

I am learning how to operate my D500...David Busch's D500

While still learning to use my new to me camera, I am also half way through another Michael Connelly novel, "The Wrong Side Of Goodbye".

English Language and Composition AP exams.
Ew. :lol:

I recently finished Passing by Nella Larsen, which is more of a novella, length-wise. I read it in one day, and was so impressed I immediately read it again to make sure I hadn't missed anything. An amazing tale, on many levels, and one that would made a superb psychological thriller - though I'm not clear that's what the author intended. A big Wow.

I moved from that to Brideshead Revisited, by Evelyn Waugh, which might not have been the best sequencing on my part. ;) I'm finding it trivial and dull. The time periods are similar in each of these books, though the latter takes place across the pond and is written by an English writer. I'm not finished with it, so am hoping it evolves more, and I'm trying very hard to maintain perspective for time, place, and culture. It's highly rated and has been re-released many times, so it deserves a fair shake.

Currently reading "The Fallen", by David Baldacci

I am reading the Ansel Adams trilogy again. I am also making my way through the Drizzt Do'urden series. Currently on book twenty five. The further into the Drizzt series I get, the worse the books become and are harder to read. The first three books are awesome.

51VTW2GYQ8L._SL350_.jpg

"The Man In The High Castle" by Philip K. Dick

I've read a lot already in the last year during pandemic times.

My current favs are :
Can't Hurt Me - David Goggins
The Untethered Soul - Michael Singer
Ripped at 50 - Troy Casey
Wim Hof Method
The Power of Now (but that could've been written in a better way, not in a Q&A way)

Still busy with "the 4 hour workweek", not enough time to read this one yet :D

I'm tempted to get Rob Halfords autobiography - Confess

Working on the Dune series that was started by Frank Herbert:

Dune
Dune Messiah
Children of Dune

I had original read these three years ago but have started with Dune and have not stopped. So I followed with:

God Emperor of Dune
Heretics of Dune
Chapterhouse: Dune

Frank Herbert passed away after Chapterhouse and the series has been continued (based on notes discovered) by his son Brian Herbert and a co-author Kevin J. Anderson:

Hunters of Dune
Sandworms of Dune
Dune: The Butlerian Jihad
Dune: The Machine Crusade
Dune: The Battle of Corrin

And now I'm working on Sisterhood of Dune.

Working on the Dune series that was started by Frank Herbert:

Dune
Dune Messiah
Children of Dune

I had original read these three years ago but have started with Dune and have not stopped. So I followed with:

God Emperor of Dune
Heretics of Dune
Chapterhouse: Dune

Frank Herbert passed away after Chapterhouse and the series has been continued (based on notes discovered) by his son Brian Herbert and a co-author Kevin J. Anderson:

Hunters of Dune
Sandworms of Dune
Dune: The Butlerian Jihad
Dune: The Machine Crusade
Dune: The Battle of Corrin

And now I'm working on Sisterhood of Dune.
Nice!
I’ve read all the Dune books and cannot wait for the new movie.

I’m about to start the Foundation Asimov volumes now in preparation for the upcoming AppleTV series later this year, have never read Asimov so not sure what to expect.

Iain M Banks was responsible for getting me into the genre originally and still my favourite author.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back