what are your go to lenses for traveling?

So far this year my travel camera has largely been my bridge camera, mainly because it fits into a backpack along with my MPC500 and QY100 without much fuss. However, when I went to MI at the end of May I took my DSLR, but also all of my lenses because I didn't know what I would need. Turns out, my 50mm Yongnuo prime, Canon 18-55mm, and Tamron 28-80mm got the most use by far. I did pull out the Canon 75-300mm while taking pics from a riverbank a time or two, but the others suited my needs best. If I travel with that camera again, I'm going to scale down and just bring those four lenses.

I recommend a normal zoom lens. For full frame, this is typically 24-70mm, and for a crop sensor, around 18-55. A wider aperture like f/2.8 is nice to have, but for travel photography, especially in good light, you often want to keep the background somewhat in focus, so even a basic kit lens is pretty well suited.

Allow me to share some of my experiences and why this option works best for me.
  • My first trip traveling with a DSLR, I had an 18-55 kit lens on a crop sensor body, and also brought a 70-300 telephoto. I captured some amazing memories with the 18-55, used a small travel tripod in low-light when I wanted to capture something without people in it, and never once took out the telephoto.
  • On a subsequent trip, I brought the same 18-55, added a 35mm f/1.8 prime lens, and left the telephoto at home. Once again, the 18-55 stayed on almost the entire trip. It was nice to have the fast prime when it got dark out, but most of the time when there wasn't enough light, I found myself hitting the limit of usable ISO value even at f/1.8.
  • Eventually I upgraded to a much better crop sensor body, and replaced the kit lens with a 17-55 f/2.8, the same normal zoom range. Traveling with this combination proved to be the the ideal setup for me, although it was a bit heavy and bulky. At no point did I find myself wishing I had brought a different lens.
  • Most recently, I traveled with a full frame mirrorless body, a 24-70 f/2.8 lens, and a 40mm f/2 prime. For the first day and a half I struggled to make do with the compact and lightweight 40mm lens, and it just didn't work for me. Sometimes the subject would be too far away and I couldn't physically get closer. Other times I was in a tight space and did not have room to backup, and 40mm just wasn't wide enough. I switched to the 24-70 for the rest of the trip and didn't look back.

The 24-70 f/2.8 is my current work horse. I tend to take the 105 f/4 macro, as well. If I want to travel lighter, I still have the 28-85 f/3.5-4.5. and add a 24 f/2.8 prime.

The lens I take out for the day when traveling is a 35mm f1.8 on full frame DSLR camera. Smaller than a zoom, wide enough to include landscape/cityscape, long enough for people shots and environments, fast enough for indoor.

Depends on the camera, and WHERE I am going.

P&S = whatever lens is on the P&S
35mm p&s = 35

m43 = 12-60 or 14-150 + 17/1.8
APS-C = 18-140 + 35/1.8
FF = 24-120 although it is kinda big/heavy + 35/2
35mm = 35-105 + 35/2 or 50/1.4
2-1/4 sq = 80, maybe a 60

Not a pro and don't expect pro photo's. I figure pretty much any lense made will take better photo's than I can so I pretty much just try to have a couple lense's to cover all the mm's I might need. Carry a Tamron 18-200 on the camera and when I remember a Nikon 55-300. Have a Sigma 170-500 but usually forget it! Anyway my two lense's cover everything fron 18mm to 300mm. Not bad I think! My abilities make me happy most the time and that's the guy I want to make happy!

Canon l series
70 105
70 200
16 35
eg long med short

Digital M43 = 45-200 and/or 42 f1.8 + 14-42
Film 35mm (Usually OM) = 55mm f1.2 + 28mm f2.8 or 35-105 f3.5-4.5 / 80mm f2 or 75-150mm f4 depending on mood, expected subjects and how much else I have to carry.

Like Jeff15 above, I have and make constant use of all the zoom range on my Panny FZ-300 (bridge) camera

Looking briefly thru images from the last couple of days, I find the following lens settings used ...
24 - 30 - 50 - 90 - 115 - 135 - 140 - 150 - 160 - 200 - 310 - 585 (FF-equiv) all from the same camera

Why carry around multiple bodies and lenses? yep- I know there's a good reason for it all, but to me, it comes down to 'horses-for-courses' ... we each choose what's best / most suitable for our style of picture taking

I just grab the one camera + a battery (ya never know when you'll need it) and out I go for a photo meander
Phil

Traveling around my DSLR pretty much stays in the bag these days and I have a point and shoot close by. Had two and problems with both so new Panosonic P&S is supposed to be here soon. Checked tracking a few minutes ago and says out for delivery. If something pecial comes up I have a tamron 18-200 on my D7000, a 55-300 in the bag and now and then carry along my Sigma 150-500. Had an 18-140 Nikon but gave it to my son because he's spoiled! Seem's he has my 150-500 now also! I think for needing a quick shot keeping something like the 18-140 or my tamron 18-200 on the camera works well and if I need something longer I probably have time the swap lense's. Irony of it is my P&S's took very nice photo's and have some of my dog's blowwn up to 13x19 that look fine to me! But as we should know, a P&S is not going to cut the mustard with a DSLR! If I were a pro I would probably not take my P&S anywhere a potentional customer might see it. Just don't think it would fit the image! Here's my Snicker shot with a Nikon cool Pix S6900. Enlarged to 13x19 it looks pretty good to me! But weather I get it or not might be in question but I do expect more from my D7000!

1687987774849.jpeg

Last edited:
My Zeiss 24 to 600 mm, ready for anything.
I would agree but for one thing. For me, shooting my 170-500 at all pretty much require's I use a tripod, big heavy lense and I a feble old man! :)

Totally dependent on where for how long, amount of travel, types of transportation involved. Gear overload can quickly become a PITA simply for getting in the way of actually enjoying yourself. A small, stealth bag with a Ricoh GRII, Fuji X-100T, batteries and a few cards work for me. YMMV, as always.
Make's a good point. Extra cards! I carry a couple extra for each camera I might have along. Having the right extra lense for a shot but a full card and no extra card ain't all that good! Probably shouldtake an extra battery also!

BTW, I've never needed the extra card's but leave them home and bet I'll need them!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back