what are your go to lenses for traveling?

ph0toe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
when shooting yourself highlighting the background like standing in front of mountain, lakes, fjord.
also when shooting popular touristy attractions and want to capture yourself

The 35mm on the Fuji X-T4 is my main travel lens.

If on a family vacation, it's the D7200 with Tamron 18-400mm f/3.5-6.3 and I pack a 35mm f/1.8 for low light situations. If on a photography outing, it's both the D850 and D500, 14-24mm f/4, 50mm f/1.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 and a 200-500mm f/5.6 with a 1.4x teleconverter. Of course, spare batteries, polarizers, filter kit, ...

Real simple, Canon 28-135 for travel. But for selfies, a GoPro. Any time I'm shooting a photo of myself it's absolutely, positively, NOT fine art. It's a travel snapshot. I hit time time lapse, walk into the image, pose, walk back. No complicated triggers or running or timers. Then I pick the one I like, if there is one, and throw out the rest. I love digital!

pete-val-valley-of-fire-2018-web.jpg

Like that

Or this

welcome_to_wabeno_pete_val_2021.jpg

Or a selfie of us taking a selfie?

pete-val-selfie-RA-IMSA.jpg

I guess I don't take all of this too seriously?

Carry a bean bag and a tripod, or sit the camera on a fence post or the hood of your car, or balance it on a knapsack.

Since I have Nikon gear...my 70-200 f/2.8 is always with me. But I have taken many nice shots with the 18-105 f/3.5-5.6 kit lens and always bring that as well.

Took my Nikon z-mount f/4 24-70 on latest trip and loved it. Wish I had the new 24-120 but maybe later.

I have to decide which camera system to take before picking lenses & that depends on where I'm going.
Tomorrow at the airshow, has different needs from last night at Pin mill, or last week in Devon.
Not much travelling needed at lunchtime today but it used a different camera again.

Totally dependent on where for how long, amount of travel, types of transportation involved. Gear overload can quickly become a PITA simply for getting in the way of actually enjoying yourself. A small, stealth bag with a Ricoh GRII, Fuji X-100T, batteries and a few cards work for me. YMMV, as always.

Last edited:
If traveling for work then it’s a Cannon Powershot, personal travel I take everything.

I always take the 16-80, 70-300 and 12mm. Note I have a crop sensor mirrorless so it’s not a heavy kit for travel.

when shooting yourself highlighting the background like standing in front of mountain, lakes, fjord.
A medium telephoto like a 24-70 (on full frame camera) seems like a natural choice.

A 7.5 cm f/3.5 Fujinar has been my most used travel lens for the last 50+ years.

Going to add my 2-bob's worth here ...

As we live & travel in the vehicle / motorhome for about 8-months of every year, space and weight is an ever-present consideration. We each have a locked cupboard about the size of a milk create (1-foot cubed) that takes the laptop + mouse & other stuff and the camera/s (2-in my case)

So my cameras are the Panasonic superzoom (bridge) units, the FZ-300 with its F2,8 constant aperture Leica 24-600mm (FFequiv) and the workhorse, the FZ-2500 with its Leica 24-480 (FFequiv) 20x zoom lens

Selfies?? .... nup, don't wanna bust the camera :p
Phil

Most reactions

New Topics

Back