What camera should I upgrade to?

strwberi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I currently own a 40D, I feel that it is really getting to it's limit and am looking to upgrade (I've had it for 5 years and have shot 20-50k pics/year). Up to this point I have mostly shot for family and friends and I want to get more seriously into the professional scene. I do a lot of portrait work: families, weddings, newborns, etc.

My biggest problems I am having now are:
-I can only shoot up to 1600 ISO (with a ridiculous amount of noise), and I do a lot of indoor/low light shooting including events such as orchestra/theater performances.
-My pictures are not sharp anymore. I'm not sure if this has to do with the age/usage limit of my camera or if it is just a lens issue or both...

So any suggestions you have of cameras that would 'fix' those problems would be helpful. I've been looking at the 7d or the 5d series... or the 60d? It might also be nice to have a camera that can do video as well? Or is it better to have a 'stills' only camera? I definitely feel like a bit of a newbie, so any advice would be appreciated.

Also any suggestions for lenses?

If noise is your main issue, then the 5d series is your best bet. Specifically the 5D mark 3.

And if you can't afford the 5d mark3. Look at the 6d

Actually the 6D is superior to the approximately twice as expensive 5D mark III in sensor performance.

If you prefer DxO Mark, it shows identical performance in noise, color, and tonality, but 1/2 a stop better dynamic range in the 6D across all ISOs. And if you prefer to pixel peep yourself with actual photos, then go here (I set it all up for you):

Studio shot comparison: Digital Photography Review

To my eye in actual photo examples, the 6D actually looks about a full stop better in both the RAW and JPEG comparisons (more of a difference than suggested by DxO mark)

Anyway, if you want better sensor performance as your main reason for upgrading, buy the 6D regardless of whether you can afford the 5D Mk III or not.

And if you can't afford the 5d mark3. Look at the 6d
I second that, if you can afford it then Canon 5D III is your best option and if not Canon 6D is in second place.

I would advise you also to consider Nikon with its D800 camera.

I would stay away from the 7d. It is an older camera, and isn't going to solve many of the problems you're looking to solve. The 70d was also just released (within the last week or two), so that may be another good option.

Most reactions

Back