What camera should I upgrade to?

Brethomul

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A whIle ago I bought my first DSLR, a canon t5 with its kit lens. Since then I have acquired a 50mm 1.8 and a 70-300mm 4-5.6. I am looking to upgrade my camera. I am looking to get the canon 7d but the nikon d7100 has certainly caught my mind unfortunately this will cost a bunch more because I will have to buy all new lenses.

Basically I want to know if it is worth it to switch systems?

Do you mean Canon 7D (2009) or 7D II (2014)? As you have the lenses I would
go for the 7D II. I think the D7100 will cost more with the lenses.
Unless you absolutely want Nikon. :)
Rudi

I switched to Nikon from Canon.

I'm not sure if the switch is worth it. You don't have that much tied up in lenses and could probably sell handy enough.

Do you process raw files? I find the Nikon better in this regard, I can make a nicer photo if conditions are not ideal. Straight out if camera jpegs are similar.

Unless you really want yo change I'd have at least a quick look at the Canon 70d first.

Do you mean Canon 7D (2009) or 7D II (2014)? As you have the lenses I would
go for the 7D II. I think the D7100 will cost more with the lenses.
Unless you absolutely want Nikon. :)
Rudi

I mean the 2009 mark 1 version. If I could afford the mark - I would certainly take that over anything else.

A Nikon 50/1.8 AF-D and a 70-300mm f/4~5.6 for Nikon is like $99 used pawnshop price for the 50mm lens, and from $89 for the 70-300 f/4~5.6 G-series original model, to $229 for a better 70-300, like say the Tamron 70-300 VC. I do not think much of the original Canon 7D these days.

Canon 7D is an old camera with an old sensor, it has same sensor the Canon T3i so don't expect any better image quality or better low light performance, I would seriously recommend you not to get this camera.

Nikon D7100 will have the better sensor, the dynamic range is better and you will feel that when you process the RAW files.

If you decide to stick with Canon only 2 cameras I would recommend you to get will be Canon T6S or the really expensive Canon 7D II
Canon T6S is Canon's newest crop sensor camera, from review I read its a nice camera, still doesn't have Nikon's dynamic range but its a fairly good camera and thats the one I would recommend if I would buy a Canon and couldn't get the very expensive 7D II

Since you have only two cheap lenses, you can switch to Nikon if you want to.
I would prefer the D7100 because it's better image quality wise and in low light situations.
If you want to stay with canon don't go for the 7D MKI, go for the MKII or he 70D.

Cheers

A whIle ago I bought my first DSLR, a canon t5 with its kit lens. Since then I have acquired a 50mm 1.8 and a 70-300mm 4-5.6. I am looking to upgrade my camera. I am looking to get the canon 7d but the nikon d7100 has certainly caught my mind unfortunately this will cost a bunch more because I will have to buy all new lenses.

Basically I want to know if it is worth it to switch systems?

the 7D is more for sports/action. You will get better "IQ" image quality with Canon, better AF, selection of lens, etc.
But if you don't shoot sports consider the mirrorless options

Better image quality and lens selection on Canon?
Nikon is known for having better image quality and in fact Nikon has more lenses (not by much).
Canon has better autofocus in some cases and it's better for video.

Last edited:
Comparing cameras with online shots may have its cons. Below are 2 shots, one is a 7d at iso 1600, the other is a d7100 at iso 1800. Which is better.I believe the d7100 shot has the edge, but others may differ. Which is which, well....

Ostrich portrait by jaomul, on Flickr

I am winking by jaomul, on Flickr

Better image quality and lens selection on Canon?

duh !
what the pros use !

The White House

15382523850_4cbc0b4468_b.jpg

I'm going to assume that you are joking right now :)

I'm assuming you are joking right now (and in the future) :bek113:

The White House

19719773793_7a4226bd24_b.jpg

Last edited:
OK, lol.
So, the pros only use canon (and you attached random pics).
Nikon is only for amateur use :p
I'm laughing hard. Going to wake up the wife.
Don't do that :p

Cheers

LOL !
cheers!

ISO 3200 !!!

20150130486_5c6d54ea6b_b.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back