What camera to buy?

Star_Climber

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So i'm now on "Visual art" university...we don't have the subject "photography" yet,but we will!and i really need to buy a new camera...if i want to take this seriously^^
so any tips what camera to buy?
i have now Canon Ixus 65 which is:thumbdown:
i need a better one,but not too expensive!...poor parents,the university is expensive enough...:lol:

Budget? Used or New? Type of photography you want to get into?

I could suggest Canikon, but if you want to do something like nature photography in a relatively wet climate, you wouldn't be able to touch one of their weather sealed cameras for under at least $1500 and would probably be better off going with another brand.

Just an example.

Also have you checked to see what gear the university has? Whilst choosing a camera is oftne based on budget and personal choice if you go for the brand your uni has you can borrow gear :)

So i'm now on "Visual art" university...we don't have the subject "photography" yet,but we will!and i really need to buy a new camera...if i want to take this seriously^^
so any tips what camera to buy?
i have now Canon Ixus 65 which is:thumbdown:
i need a better one,but not too expensive!...poor parents,the university is expensive enough...:lol:

Also have you checked to see what gear the university has? Whilst choosing a camera is oftne based on budget and personal choice if you go for the brand your uni has you can borrow gear :)

Bolded the important part. Kind of weird that the school where you want to study photography at doesn't have a course for it. I'm wondering about Overread's equipment suggestion as well.

There's something to think about there though, if your school purchases Nikon camera gear to supplement their photography course, you don't want to buy a Canon camera unless you can match what they're buying in Canon gear and that could be very expensive. That or if your school tells you to purchase a certain brand of camera so that the controls and abilities of the hardware will all be the same and the evalutation of a person's work will rest on their skills and not an excuse of equipment.

hmm I was taking it to mean that that section of the module had not yet arrived (something that happens in the second term) rather than something new that will be added to the course - which I would expect to happen for a new year rather than part way through one (unless Star is planning really early)

I'm a firm believer in the photographer and not the camera. But too often Pentax cameras have been overlooked. They are very good but too many people don't believe in them. Check them out, you might like them.

I could suggest Canikon, but if you want to do something like nature photography in a relatively wet climate, you wouldn't be able to touch one of their weather sealed cameras for under at least $1500 and would probably be better off going with another brand.

Just an example.

I have no personal experience but I've heard good things about the Pentax weather-sealed equipment and it's reasonably priced (at least in comparison with Canikon).

Just an example.

I have no personal experience but I've heard good things about the Pentax weather-sealed equipment and it's reasonably priced (at least in comparison with Canikon).

I've read some where that Olympus people at camera shows like to dump buckets of water over their sealed cameras.

Most schools have students start with film cameras and learn some darkroom techniques, before they shoot digital.

Just an example.

I've read some where that Olympus people at camera shows like to dump buckets of water over their sealed cameras.

Are the cameras functional afterwards? :lol:

I'm a firm believer in the photographer and not the camera. But too often Pentax cameras have been overlooked. They are very good but too many people don't believe in them. Check them out, you might like them.
i have a pentax SLR, the digital SLR's were way too expensive, i am very impressed by the quality of pentax and what they have to offer, i got a pentax k1000 with 3 lenses and it works flawlessly

I don't know where people are getting weather proof.. I didn't notice anything in the OP that would make you assume he is going to need this.

Kind of weird that the school where you want to study photography at doesn't have a course for it.

They do, he said that he hasn't got to that subject yet. I guess it will be next semester or something.

Things that need to be considered:
Will any types of cameras or lenses be available to you from the school?
Exactly how much do you think your budget will be?

I don't know where people are getting weather proof.. I didn't notice anything in the OP that would make you assume he is going to need this.

Kind of weird that the school where you want to study photography at doesn't have a course for it.

They do, he said that he hasn't got to that subject yet. I guess it will be next semester or something.

It was just based on an example of not being able to recommend a camera without further information.

It was just based on an example of not being able to recommend a camera without further information.

Ah, understood.

I say you most definitely need to find out if you'll be provided with any lenses or cameras.. The last thing you want is to go out and buy a Cannon and get to the class only to find out you have a whole array of Nikon lenses to choose from..

The camera is just a tool, like a paintbrush. The photog is the artist.
However, Pentax has simply no added value. It's not cheaper than Canon nor Nikon, their lenses are just as expensive. Nothing to pull me away from even Olympus or Sony SLRs. I see Pentax going the way of Minolta soon.

Most reactions

Back