What camera?

JBLoudG20

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jayt.org
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am new to a DSLR, and I am debating what camera I should get.

My friend is offering me a gently used 4 month old 350D with kit lens for $450. I was curious what else I might look at with a budget of about $550?

I plan on hanging around here... so look forward to my bad attmepts at what you guys (and gals) do! :blushing:

Digital Matt said:
Get a 50mm f/1.8, which is less than $100, around $75.

this is very common advice, and there's a reason for it. it almost always works.

if you got an xt, kit lens, and the 50mm 1.8 for $550, that would be an absolute steal and a much better solution than point and shoot digital cameras at that price.

Digital Matt said:
Get a 50mm f/1.8, which is less than $100, around $75.

Oops, maybe I wasn't clear.. what other cameras should I be looking at? Should I just take his Rebel off his hands?

thebeginning said:
this is very common advice, and there's a reason for it. it almost always works.

if you got an xt, kit lens, and the 50mm 1.8 for $550, that would be an absolute steal and a much better solution than point and shoot digital cameras at that price.

Ah, understood. Thanks for clearing that up.

Yes...for that price, that sounds like a good deal. Especially because it's from someone you know (and hopefully trust). You could maybe get a better deal on a used camera or a better model from E-bay etc....but then you have to pay shipping and all the uncertainty that goes with that.

I'm with the others, get that camera and get a 50mm F1.8...then you will bet set.

My friend is absolutly meticulous with his gear, so I KNOW I am getting a good product.

Any links for the lens you suggest?

We seem to have lost our links to B&H and Adorama at the top...

Here it is

Adorama

Thanks for the help. I already purchased a SanDisk Ultra II 2GB CF card... and hopefully I'll have my new camera this weekend!

JBLoudG20 said:
Thanks for the help. I already purchased a SanDisk Ultra II 2GB CF card... and hopefully I'll have my new camera this weekend!

sounds great, congrats! be sure to post some pictures from it on here time to time :)

I just ordered that lens from B&H... I'm getting awfully excited about my camera this weekend. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back