What cloud storage do you use?

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm swapping to a different/newer laptop and instead of transferring all of my photo files to the new one and bogging down the hard drive with thousands of pics, I'm going to upload everything to a cloud and keep it there. I saw that Amazon has unlimited photo storage for $11.99/year and it takes RAW photos. I'm not a pro so just looking for a back-up to my back-up drive and something that I can also access via my phone. Anyone using the Amazon option? What do you think of it? Other suggestions?

I have Amazon Prime so it comes with unlimited photo storage for free. It's the same as the $11.99 a year but free with prime. I just started using it and it seems good. You can create albums and organize the uploads. I have been uploading large TIFF files and have been happy with it. I also downloaded the app and you can access and upload from mobile devices.

I have Amazon Prime so it comes with unlimited photo storage for free. It's the same as the $11.99 a year but free with prime. I just started using it and it seems good. You can create albums and organize the uploads. I have been uploading large TIFF files and have been happy with it. I also downloaded the app and you can access and upload from mobile devices.

Thanks for that info. Seems like the easiest/cheapest route.

If you store your photos online, don't complain when the service goes away without notice and you lose all the photos you had posted.

Backblaze.

If you store your photos online, don't complain when the service goes away without notice and you lose all the photos you had posted.

It's a back up to my external hard drive back up. And somehow I think Amazon will give a warning before discontinuing the service.

cumulonimbus - very big, so there's lots of storage room. ;)

For less than $200 you can buy a NAS or an external hard drive. It will allow you to store your images and other computer files without depending on anyone else.

For less than $200 you can buy a NAS or an external hard drive. It will allow you to store your images and other computer files without depending on anyone else.
Great idea! Because physical devices never fail. I think the op's question was about cloud storage.

I'm swapping to a different/newer laptop and instead of transferring all of my photo files to the new one and bogging down the hard drive with thousands of pics, I'm going to upload everything to a cloud and keep it there. I saw that Amazon has unlimited photo storage for $11.99/year and it takes RAW photos. I'm not a pro so just looking for a back-up to my back-up drive and something that I can also access via my phone. Anyone using the Amazon option? What do you think of it? Other suggestions?
Excellent choice

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I've been using the free Google Drive for all my file storage for a few years. It made changing to my new laptop GREAT. Just buy the new laptop, install any software, and log into Google Drive. Done. However, now that I am playing with photography I upgraded to their 100GB plan and use it to back up my pictures, which I started storing on my HDD, but in only a couple months have use something like 25 GB! So Google Drive won't be the solution for me.

I'm thinking I'm going with duplicate external HDDs and only use Google Drive for pics I want access to from anywhere. Of course maybe just an online album would work better for me.

I used Google Photos for photo sharing between Pc phone and tablet but it doesn't save the RAW files or at full size like Amazon.

Great idea! Because physical devices never fail. I think the op's question was about cloud storage.

The chances of two hard drives failing on the same day are smaller than an internet company going out of business. Thanks for the snark by the way.

The chances of two hard drives failing on the same day are smaller than an internet company going out of business. Thanks for the snark by the way.

I was implying it is very simple and affordable to have both local backup and cloud. The chances of Amazon going anywhere soon is very very slim. Sorry if you detected snarkines from my comment as it was intended. Your comment was off topic and had no useful information for the topic at hand.

You should also have an archive of the files on m-disc BD so you can do prints after the other digital copies have degraded and cannot be accessed any longer. Keep one set at home and one set in a remote location for extra security of valuable files.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back