What did I miss?

JMF

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I keep going back to this photo. I get this fealing that I missed something or should have done somthing different. Any suggestions for me? Thanks for your help.

Anna1copy.jpg

Some fill light and a promise of ice cream might have helped the shot...

I would have turned the camera to portrait orientation. I think the camera's tone curve (aka contrast setting) is a bit too harsh, and that is what caused the burn-out on her white shirt. Shaded lighting like that really is not all that harsh, especially when a bit of flash was used as in this situation.

Going by her apparent age, it looks like the little girl might be at that gap-toothed age/stage where many kids are reluctant to show their teeth...regardless of her motivation, she seems like she's not too keen on being photographed. Some day though, this could become a cherished photograph, however, and it's not "horrible" or anything.

I would say composition is needed. Stuffing her face in the middle takes away all interest. Adjust so she is in the right of the frame and give more of the green to the left (to brighten-up the pictureP). Adjusting the DOF so the bokeh is nice-n-creamy would help too.

A little composition goes a long way. Exposure and lighting is fine. Yes, you could tweek it, but it's not wrong. I like it.

Oh, and Ice cream for sure. :)

Cheers!

She reminds me of my daughter. sometimes she wants me to take pictures of her. other times she can be so annoyed to see me with a camera. Either way - precious!

a little fill flash could help but very nice picture as it is.

Thank you to everyone for the help. Although you can't tell it in the photo, she was more than willing to take pics that day. But I do agree that ice cream would have brightened her mood that day.

Most reactions

Back