What did you want to be when you grew up?

Trenton Romulox

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jeremygrayphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What did you want to end up doing with your life? And so far, have you done what you wanted? And if not, what have you done?

I want to be an english teacher and do photography on the side for some extra cash (but if no money comes of it, oh well).

But what about all of you adults, what have you done in your life so far and how do those things compare with what you wanted to have done by this point?

And no, this thread isn't intended to make everyone get all depressed because they haven't reached their goals. HAHA.

I still haven't decided what I want to be when I grow up - but that doesn't appear to be causing me a problem.

too late, i already feel depressed...

I wanted to be an architect or and artist.

I currently work in an office doing copy input. i hate it :/

But what about all of you adults, what have you done in your life so far and how do those things compare with what you wanted to have done by this point?

And no, this thread isn't intended to make everyone get all depressed because they haven't reached their goals. HAHA.

Ha, you're a bit too insightful for your age, lol

I would've been bummed out by not using my degree, but I do love that I've done all sorts of unplanned stuff as well. I'm glad I stuck with zoology, but I wish I'd done an english degree in conjunction with it.

Actually come to think of it the only major thing I haven't managed is to go to Africa, and I'll being going later this year. I've been to 13 countries and met tons of interesting people and because of that, I got over my shyness.

Now my goal is to make sure I never feel like I've grown up :mrgreen:

A world famous drummer, in a world famous rock band. :)

I remember I used to want to be an artist, but then my art teacher told me I wasn't creative, so I gave up on drawing and painting. She said, "All you understand is the technical side of things, that's not real art." But, because I stopped with drawing and painting, I got into writing, which I was then told by my English teacher in 8th grade I was no good at that either. Middle school was a scarring time HAHA. But then, I got into photography about a year ago and my girlfriend was really supportive, but I never really shared most of my photos because of my prior experience with people and my artistic endeavors. And now that she's gone, I sort of figure I should be more open with my work and share it with people, no matter what they might say. I've learned that until I'm satisfied with my own work, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks of it. And now, even though I've had bad experience with writing, I'm gonna pursue teaching English.

But, I've still one year of high school left after I finish this year, so who knows what I'll be thinking of doing with my life by then? And even when I get to college, there's still the possibility of switching majors. I just don't want to get so caught up in my future life that I forget to live my present one, because any day anything or everything can be taken away from you and you realize just how much living you forgot to do in a mad rush to get to the ultimate future for yourself, and for the ones you love.

I wanted to be all kinds of things. I was hampered in my quest though by the emotional baggage imposed on me in high-school. Quite honestly I found high-school to be quite an unpleasant place and quite a damaging place where narrow-minded stereotypes were taught. Anyway, after I left highschool I tried to do the "right" thing by following education. That education while interesting ultimately did not lead to financial success. I qualified in computing just as the industry fell on its ass. Then I got my degree and learnt to teach english as a foreign language. Then I bummed around the former USSR and Europe teaching English, largely living from hand to mouth. At home I ran a computer repair business but found it equally hard to survive. Trouble was nobody had any money to learn English and most people didn't bother fixing their computers - they'd keep them running for a couple of years then upgrade and would put up with teh slowness etc.

Eventually I met my wife and moved to the US and after a couple of years of doing house-husband, part-time computer fixing and general gofering for my wife's business, I started my photography business.

I actually ended up doing what I wanted to do, but never thought I would do.

I was geared to go into spec.war. Longs story short, cut a finger off(now reattached) effed my hand up pretty well, took a medical, went back to cooking, and well, ended up being a Chef. Always wanted to, never thought I would. I guess after 14 years now, it is more then a hobby.

I still would like to be a cultural anthropologist.

My Mother always told me I could do whatever I wanted. I'm sure she didn't mean carte blanc like the way I took it, but I've always done whatever I wanted and look forward to doing whatever I want in the future.

Fighter pilot. Instead wound up an engineer and built fighter engines until health got in the way.

If there were "do-overs", I'd be an airline pilot.....for the travel.

I've done the travel thing. It rapidly becomes boring, living out of a suitcase.

If I were to do over then I'd probably have joined the RAF as an intelligence officer - they offered but I decided to do something else instead.

Well I wanted to be a swim instructor when I was three.

Now I am going to University for something entirely different.

Guess that doesn't equate as grown up.. darn.

I wanted to be a photographer since I can remember. My grandfather and my mother both were and had B&W labs at home. I grew up to the smell of fixer.I was taught to ALWAYS have a camera with me. I studied photography for a while in college then went on to bio physics. I ended up doing photography. Not taking photographs for National Geographic like I dreamed of :) but still doing photography. Lucky ME! Not often is your job one of the things you love to do!

Im still in high-school but either want to be an anesthesiologist great salary $300K USD + a year but medical school doesnt sound fun, and a little stressful
-or-
getting my MLIS and becoming a librarian, $50k USD a year and going to school for like 3 years

Most reactions

New Topics

Back