What do I need to appear like i know what I'm doing?

TheLibrarian

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Your standard beginner equipment thread.
1. Budget is around $500, i'd like to keep it there, maybe more for accesories later on like lenses, lights etc.
2. Currently have an over 10 year old point and shoot. I was proud of it at the time a $200 digital camera I thought it was cool beans. And a iphone 5s which will do what I need, maybe with an extra app but I am concerned about appearances which i'll tell you more next.
3. Purpose is mostly for portraits of models for my own enjoyment. So the iphone would be fine for that but if i'm paying something and convincing them to come then me taking pictures with my phone might be a little too obvious and not instill great confidence in the models. I'd also like to do some nature, animals, concerts, events and sports if i have the fancy camera. I do some mountain biking but most dont bring their good camera over rough trails. I can snap off a phone shot if i see a raccoon.
4. Skill level is pretty low. I've enjoyed taking pics for years and have done some for work at events but nothing special and no special camera.
5. Ive done some looking myself. I'm leaning towards the rebel Ti of some version. The one with 2 lenses and bag for $429 from bestbuy. Whats so cool about mirrorless? and why is there a $45,000 camera from some halbrand company? Is that for real or a ripp off? 60 some mexapixels i guess is fancy. Makes me feel better about what i owe on my student loans.

Other stuff: A review said the zoom lense in the Rebel Ti package above needs either some stability control or a tripod. a tripod might be handy. If I'm taking photos of models at a medium to close distance will a tripod be of any use? Also same scenario do i need those light thing stands in daylight outside? Theres a shade variant that would be better in these conditions, like a big screen or something? I dont want to outgrow the Rebel in a few years as technology changes but then maybe its better to start at this price and buy something better when the technology increases and my skill increases? Anything else you feel the need to tell me feel free.

Have you heard about the new forum rule that everyone needs to have their DNA, fingerprints, and current home address on file?

Last edited:
Whatever you do, don't get a Halbrand Company camera. Those are a total ripoff of Hasselblad.

If you want to appear to know what you're doing, I'd suggest buying a few books on photography and reading them.

Sure Hasselblad, thats what it was. Where do i upload my dna scan? You guys are worse than the A&S thread on the bike forums. Though its quick replies. Books and knowledge are fine, I am a librarian I would just check them out and can spend endless time online reading about it. I'm sure the models would appreciate that but ive always been a paper tiger and empty suit. I will and do have more questions about technique but right now i'm looking at equipment and am in the equipment subforum.

My recommendation for you in your price range is Nikon D3300 with its kit lens 18-55mm for starters.
In your price range Canon Rebel has old sensor technology made about 7 years ago.
The Nikon D3300 has better low light performance, better dynamic range and more resolution.

If you are willing only to get a Canon my advise is don't get any model bellow he Canon T6i or T6S but those are well above your price range.
The T6i or T6S are using a much newer sensor which is close to the Sensor technology in the Nikon cameras.
Canon T3i, T5i, T5 and T6 all use the same old 18MP sensor which is ok but is left behind in it capabilities compared to new modern cameras in its price range.

It's sad but the previous advice on reading first is probably the best. In days gone by just about every town of any size had at least one full service camera shop with knowledgeable staff that could guide you. Not so anymore which is why you need to gain some knowledge first or you will screw up.

You'll need skill,experience, knowledge and confidence.

Your standard beginner equipment thread.
I agree with goodguy about the Nikon D3300. This is considered an "entry level" DSLR, but it's pretty good for its price point.

The lens that is normally bundled with it is the venerable (ubiquitous) Nikkor 18-55mm zoom with VR (vibration reduction) for those times when you're hand-holding the camera. It doesn't do everything, but what it does, it does quite well, and you can upgrade a lens or two in time.

If you limit the deal to just the camera, lens, battery and battery charger, you should be able to get going for somewhere around your budget. Don't go for one of those "100-piece" kits that are all over the 'net. Mostly because you'll be confused, you'll begin to think that it's the gear, not the gear holder, and most of the stuff is low-priced filler to make you think you're getting a heck of a bargain.

I suggest that you get JUST THAT COMBO, and start reading and doing on-line research. When you get your camera, read the user's manual (probably on a DVD included) and start taking pictures. Become familiar with the camera and the basic settings, and don't forget composition in your self-directed education.

(edit) Oh, one more thing. To answer the question in the title, I'd say if it's equipment that you want, just put together about $30,000 to $40,000 and get a "pro-level" camera, a few pro-level lenses, camera stand, several studio strobes, light stands, modifiers, props, backdrops, rent a studio, and hire an assistant. Preferably one who can help you "fake it".

Last edited:
The key to good portraiture is the lighting.
Light direction and quality are the 2 major aspects you would want to understand for all your photography, not just portraiture:
Direction & Quality of Light: Your Key to Better Portrait Photography Anywhere

Lighting that is apparently big delivers soft flattering light and diffuse shadow edges.
The Sun is not an apparently big light source so often sunlight is very harsh and makes shadows that have sharp edges. The same goes for small light sources like a camera's built-in flash unit or a flash unit mounted on the camera's hot shoe.

Light modifiers, like photographic umbrellas, can make a small inexpensive manual flash unit appear to be a big light source.
Impact Digital Flash Umbrella Mount Kit
Yongnuo YN-560 II Speedlight Flash for Canon and Nikon. GN58.
Off-Camera Flash: Techniques for Digital Photographers
On-Camera Flash Techniques for Digital Wedding and Portrait Photography

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
When you want to "look like you know what you are doing" (meaning to impress people/differentiate yourself from what many peole might happen to own) there's not much that does that faster than light stands, reflectors, and light modifiers like softboxes,umbrellas,or beauty dishes, and radio triggering gear. LIGHTING EQUIPMENT is the biggest, yet least-expensive way to ,"Look like you know what you're doing."

A Canon Rebel will not impress anybody.I am certainly not impressed by a Rebel. A $29 light stand, a $20 umbrella, and a $69 Yongnuo 568EX flash will carry more weight to the uneducated public than almost any d-slr body.

Buy a modern Nikon, for the better sensor and wider dynamic range and better High ISO capability than the baby Canons in the Rebel series.

goodguy has sound advice.
I'd also like to do some nature, animals, concerts, events and sports if i have the fancy camera.

Nature as in landscapes can be done on your budget, Zoo animals as well, concerts will be a challenge but can be done. Sports is highly unlikely on a $500 budget due to reach issues.

Agree with the reading (and watching) before you buy or do anything... much better to KNOW what you're doing than trying to BS people.

Thanks all. The D3300 looks resonable one less lense and bag but more in the camera. I'll have to go hold and look at stuff too. Read a little about lighting and comp. I don't claim to be experienced or a pro to anyone but want the camera to be worthy to show up to a paid amateur shoot make portraits, etc

I know there are a bunch of Nikon shooters around here, but, nothing gives more credibility than a big white, ugly lens. ;)

want the camera to be worthy to show up to a paid amateur shoot make portraits, etc
Basakwards logic, and amateur photographers don't get paid.

If you get paid for doing photography you are a business.

If you're in the USA - local, state, and federal governments have various laws you need to be aware of.
As hard up for $$$ as most cities and states are they don't look kindly on 'cowboy' or non-registered illegal businesses that aren't collecting and forwarding appropriate sales taxes.
Many states require self-employed people to contribute to the states unemployment insurance system.
You'll also want to check out what use taxes are and why you should have liability insurance.

If you don't register, don't keep good financial records, and get caught, they will estimate your revenue and bill according - including fines and penalties.
They never estimate low and the fines/penalties are usually not small dollar amounts.

Most reactions

Back