What do you check after you receive your new camera and new lens?

julianliu

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.cornerstoneimage.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
After you received your new lens and new camera what do you do to make sure camera and lens have no problem?
After all there are 30 days you can return or exchange the product, at lease for products from BH adorama and Amazon.
Nowadays the new stuff have all kinds of problem that make me anxious about my new gears all the time. The debris in lens, oil on the sensor, rear focus problem.
Any comments?

Test it... charge up the battery (read the manual while that's happening) and then, after a thorough visual insection, put it through its paces. Take a series of test shots which use different apertures, shutter-speeds, focusing and metering modes. Examine the results... hopefully all is good. The reality is that while we hear a lot of issues, when you think about how many millions of cameras bought every year, the actual number of issues is really very, very, VERY small, and I would guess that the chances are about 99.9999% yours will be totally fine.

I have always just done as Tirediron says... normally I charge the battery...leaf thru the manual a bit while it's charging, look at the pictures, maybe actually read about an area I'm interested about (like say some 'new-to-me" feature like oh, dual card slots or some super-magic AF pattern system, etc), then take it out and SHOOT some pics! I try to see if the thing works "right". So far, 10 d-slrs into a 15 year run and none of them have been DOA or even defective out of the box, either new or used bodies.

Test all shutter speeds for accuracy. Check synch speed(s).

Lenses are all tested for sharpness, distortion, CA, etc.

I trust B&H and I trust Canon. So not much for me. Put it together, take a few pics at different aperture and speed settings. If it looks and sounds ok, I open a good bottle of wine to properly welcome the new toy to the arsenal.

Keyseddi, I don't think wine is good for cameras. Something about liquids and electronics that doesn't go together.

Scrathes -- before anything else, while the battery charges and I am having a meal leafing through the manual.

Take a bunch of fun photos. Do a couple of creative shoots. Make sure it is reliable before it goes into my main stable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most reactions

New Topics

Back