What's new

What do you do with all your photos??

I also print a book at the end of the year with my faves. It sits on the bookshelf and collects dust, but at least they won't be lost forever on a hard drive somewhere. Plus, anytime I'm feeling crummy about my photography I just go pull the book off the shelf from a few years back and marvel at how much I've improved!
 
But always write to CD/DVD for long term storage and the occasional hard drive failure.

How long do you think a CD/DVD will last nowadays? I just found an old one where the surface layer begins crumble (fortunately no important stuff!)
 
Only problem with those is they fail. I just had a 250g WD USB/Firewire drive fail and now is trash. If you have the skill and time, build yourself a small server/workstation with multiple drives to store everything. But always write to CD/DVD for long term storage and the occasional hard drive failure.

agreed:thumbup:

redundancy is important for long-term, fail safe storage.
 
I print out my favorites and hang them up. I don't have enough wall space for all of my favorites though, so I keep some framed, stored in my closet for when I do have somewhere to hang them. Other than that, I keep them backed up onto CDs, though I want to invest in an external harddrive someday, because CDs won't last forever.
 
Only problem with those is they fail. I just had a 250g WD USB/Firewire drive fail and now is trash. If you have the skill and time, build yourself a small server/workstation with multiple drives to store everything. But always write to CD/DVD for long term storage and the occasional hard drive failure.

Are you saying the WD's fail or the 1TB drive's fail? I have a buddy that works at staples and he says they get a lot of returns on failed WD's. He also said they hardly ever get any returns for Maxtor/Seagate (same company) drives for failing.

I would never have to worry about losing my data from a failed external HD because I would only use it to backup what's on my computer. I would only be in trouble in the off chance that my internal hard drive failed at the same time as the external.

The problem with backing up on DVD's is size. Backing up all of my photos would leave me needing probably 3-4 dual layer DVD's per year to backup and the way I organize my files, it's hard to break it up into 4 seperate sections for backup.
 
I store them and back up))
print my favorite ones, make postcards and print them and present them to my friends and relatives.
i delete them once in a while to clean my mind.
 
Are you saying the WD's fail or the 1TB drive's fail? I have a buddy that works at staples and he says they get a lot of returns on failed WD's. He also said they hardly ever get any returns for Maxtor/Seagate (same company) drives for failing.

I would never have to worry about losing my data from a failed external HD because I would only use it to backup what's on my computer. I would only be in trouble in the off chance that my internal hard drive failed at the same time as the external.

The problem with backing up on DVD's is size. Backing up all of my photos would leave me needing probably 3-4 dual layer DVD's per year to backup and the way I organize my files, it's hard to break it up into 4 seperate sections for backup.

Mainly I am talking about WD drives. They are good, just not a good long term solution. I usually have my images in 3 locations with a final copy on DVD. Is it a bit redundant, and puts stuff in lots of places? Yes, but I have never lost an image nor any edits that I may do. I usually have to re organize how I store my files, but I do that on the 2nd computer where I make my DVD's from.
 
For Back up I have 2 TB Linksys NAS set up in Raid 1 (full mirror) so i really only have about 970gb of space. But so far i am only running about 17 gigs of just photos so it's all good. As for backing up other stuff i have a HD that sits in a safe that i pull out once in a while and back things up.

As for what i do with them other than save them? I have 3 digital picture frames in my house as well as both of my big screen tv's have usb ports so when i have folks coming over i pop in an 8 gig thumbdrive and put them on slide show and walla... 50in digital picture frame!
 
How do you guys print them? Photo paper and just print from your printer?

I have a 500gb Seagate that I keep my photos on along with a lot of other things.
 
I print the best and am busy filling one wall of my living room. Every year we make up a photo book showing what we did that year, that uses about 100 of them. Mainly though, my photos are stored on a file server in the corner of my living room with a permanent random slide show of all my images being displayed on a large lcd monitor.

I print quite a few of mine to hang. After awhile I get tired of looking at the same old photos so I'll print new ones and hang in their place.

Both are great ideas! I'm horrible when it comes to actually printing out what I shoot and have recently started making those memory books from either shutterfly or walmart.

I like the idea of switching the pics out too. Just to give a general idea at how bad i am, i have a box full of framed family pics in our basement and have just (emphasis on "just" meaning last weekend) hung up a couple of them after living in our house for 3 years!

We just don't have a big house and wall space is limited. As far as in general, I go through all the pics, keep the ones i like, edit, then upload to shutterfly to mess with them later and then save them to a cd or dvd in case i want to play with them some more.
 
Right now I'm using DVDs, and I keep several copies. I haven't done enough research to find an digital album type service that I would comfortable uploading my photos too. Not that privacy is a huge issue, but it is an issue and I'd wait until I'm educated on the subject.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom