what do you shoot in the winter if you don't like going out in the cold.

(NOTE: I haven't read most of the replies, so my response may be redundant.)

I hate the cold. I really, really hate it. If I could, I just wouldn't leave my home between December and March.

But, I am also addicted to bird photography, and some of the best, most unusual birds, can often be found during the cold weather, so I have been known to bundle up and go out looking for them. It's funny, because NOTHING else will motivate me to go out in the cold.

So what else to shoot? I like to play around with macro stuff; if you don't have any, get a set of extension tubes and play around.
Sometimes, I'll go to the dollar store and just pick five or six items I think could make some cool macro shots and go home and experiment with them. That's how I ended up with THIS a couple of years ago:

7853228352_e1568b94e6_b.jpg

Or play around with water drops. Smoke photography. Oil and water.

Do a "10 within 10" project--find 10 things within 10 feet of you and try to find an interesting angle to photograph them.

I can't deal with cold weather anymore, so in the winter I shoot classic still life. If you don't have anything thing at home that will work together to make a suitable theme\scene, check out a local thrift store. You can pick up lots of neat old glassware and stuff very cheaply that you can use to create nice scenes. I'm presently working on an automotive still, but am having trouble finding an affordable and crucial item for my scene....an old metal motor oil can. I checked numerous flea markets and antique shops this past summer and was quite surprised that nobody had any. I did find some online, but they are out of my price range right now.

Meh. I like still life photography anyway, and I also like the cold, so I just don't have this problem in the winter.

I am more likely to have this problem in the summer, though. What do I do in the summer when I can't go out because being in the hot, humid weather is like being in hell for me?

As I said, I like still-life anyway so I shoot some of that. Or I am more likely to break out the Polaroid or pinhole and work on emulsion lifts or transfers, or developing the shot I took on paper in the pinhole. I find something that I haven't tried before and practice it to get better.

I convince the neighbor kids to come over, then I chain them up and force them to sit still while I take photographs. :)

LOL and what do their parents think about that.

You clone and spot heal out the chains and no-one has any idea. The parents won't believe them because, they get photos of the kids (with no chains) and as mentioned, they get a break for a while. lol

Buy a cheap macro lens for your phone camera and take pictures of your lunch. I actually did this when the temp outside got above 50C in the summer.

Definitely some good Ideas here, I may get my self a mini quad copter again, one about the size of the palm of your hand or smaller, you can get those for 30-50 bucks., I can fly it around in the dark and use long exposure and make cool shapes with the LED lights. I have done this before and it looked cool but I was doing it in a room with stuff all over and the lights from the quad light up the room enough that you can see all the stuff which did not look nice, now that I have that big black back drop I think could make that work.

Ill go out in the cold but it all depends on how cold, even when I put on all my winter gear I get cold and I am talking 4 or 5 layers on my upper body, a winter coat and a pair of snow pants. I can deal with 30F and above as long as the winds is not blowing too bad. right now its about 22o F and well I don't think that will work well for me looks like a really cold winter again.

I dont like the summer either, I had a heat stroke or something and ever since I get sick if I am in the heat to long. every year I seem to deal with the heat better and the last 2 summers the heat did not bother me that much. I got all kind of issues lol.

I hate shooting in the cold or the rain. The cold being anything below -20 is killer on the hands, especially shooting with only one glove on. I don't have an option though, if I have clients that want me to shoot outside, regardless of conditions, I do it it's part of the job. It's the glamour side of photography that people don't see, or like to deal with.

Believe me, I'd rather sit inside a warm studio and shoot portraits all winter, not my field though.

Portraits. Doesn't matter who, or whether young or old. With but a little shuffling of stuff around, almost any pad has a spot that's good for portraits. Additional lighting's no problem in this digital age. Simple window light can provide good modeling of features.

But don't settle for simple pictures. Try to think of a portrait as 'more than just a likeness'. How would you dress, pose and light someone so that folks who hadn't met the subject would still come away from the portrait feeling that they know something about him/her? While it's not an easy thing to do the reward, when you get it right, is worth the effort. Regards. Jim

Cold weather is a good time to practice lighting. You may not get lots of great shots to display, but it's part of practicing to the point that the knowledge becomes instinctual.

Cold weather is a good time to practice lighting. You may not get lots of great shots to display, but it's part of practicing to the point that the knowledge becomes instinctual.
quoted for truth..

You could always update your home inventory and take photos of everything in the house in case of a fire or something.
Cars work well for winter also. Just don't roll the window down until you're ready to shoot.
How about seeing how many reflections you can get in one picture?
Always fun to see if you can come up with something that will stump everyone in a WHAT IS THIS? photo contest.
Get some old photos from your collection or the family photo album and mix the heads or change the settings with Photoshop, the kids will laugh sometimes.
Ok, Ok I'll shut up now..................

I think I will try to focus on portrates, I just hope I can get some friends to come over and work with me on this. I know my parents will but they are hard to work with, they do not want to do anything but stand there for the most part but either way it will be good practice if that ends up being all I can get or I can take pics of my self. for now I do need to just focus on the lighting that I will be using since I am new to this..

one thing that will keep you much warmer in the winter, A good base layer shirt..

well it was about 11o and the windchill was something like -10o this morning when I got out of work. I had on this Condor base II long sleeve baselayer shirt on, holy crap its warm. plus I was wearing a sweater and my winter coat.. by the time I walked to my car my face and hands felt like there were frozen, my ears felt like they were gonna call off but my upper body was toasty warm. the day before it was 22o and I was not wearing the baselayer shirt and I was pretty chilly all the way to work and on the way home.

It takes a good 15 min before my car gets warmed up enough for the heat to do anything when its this cold ( 1.4 liter engine ) and I was quite toasty warm on the way home with no heat in my car this morning because I was wearing that baselayer shirt.

I got that condor base II shirt and a underarmour baselayer 2.0 shirt last winter. I forgot how warm those shirts were till I wore one yesterday. the underarmour baselayer 2.0 was like 50 or 60 bucks and I think the condor base II was round 20 bucks on amazon. one seems to be just as warm as the other, the condor is not made as well but its very warm.

I have wore some of the regular underarmour shits but those do not keep me warm at all but their baselayer version does.

Most reactions

Back