That wasn't harsh; it was the truth as I see it.
Taking reasonably exposed, reasonably sharp pictures with an automatic camera of things that are inherently beautiful or interestingly shaped is not any test of 'potential.'
If I walked into a studio and pressed one key on a piano - and it sounded great - should I expect someone to predict at that moment whether I could become a great pianist?
Photographers do more than point and press a button, they choose angles and focal length to compliment the image, they decide depth of field, choose exposure, create beauty and find meaning.
You won't know if you are a good photographer until long after you take up the effort because, only after you acquire some skills, does your talent get a chance to show.
Lew
Now this is what I call a nice comment, see, you can do it if you really put your mind to it. For the future I won't be starting threads anymore as I thought photography is not going to happen for me anytime soon, I'm just going to comment once in a while and say how beautiful some snapshots are. But thank you, write more comments like the last one and don't be too hard on people, you just might push them over the edge. Do it in a more diplomatic way, follow the feedback techniques. And again, thank you, you opinion matters.
Arrogance will teach you nothing. All it will do is ensure you get no help from anyone. The only thing that might have been gained from using a better camera would be that you would have less distortion and less chromatic aberrations.
Before you get a new camera I think you need to get a new attitude and a thicker skin. You will learn nothing at all from people telling you that your photographs are 'nice'. I went through a stage of thinking that my shots were great and ignored some of what people were saying, mainly on another forum. I have top notch kit (Canon 5D mk II, Mk III Pentax 645D a 41mp medium format camera and a number of medium format film bodies) and was convinced for a while that I was getting great images. I initially saw the criticism on another site as jealousy of my kit. then I had a good look at myself, and found that although my images were fine, they lacked something. They didn't 'pop'. I had great gear but hadn't learned to make the best of them and the software that I have.
I have still got a long way to go, but my images are much better now and have some direction, and are processed much better now. Yes, I'll still put in some duff images (I suspect that all the images I have taken today on arrival in Seoul will all hit the trash but then I took them while jet lagged!).
Shake off the attitude and be prepared to take a few scrapes. Some of the criticism will be spot on, some wildly off the mark, but learning why people see your images in a certain way is
one of the keys to mastering the art. As for cameras, learn to live the limitations of your kit and when you have better kit, you will get better use from it. Work to the camera's strengths, not it's weaknesses, and take on as much free advice as you can get. It won't all be useful, but it will all be valuable.
It all comes down to one question:
Do you want a pat one the back, or do you want to learn something that will improve your photography?
We've all been at the stage you are. Moving on to the next stage is up to you, but it means manning up and being able to take a few knocks. Good Luck whichever route you take!