What do you think this needed?

Lmphotos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.lauramaephotos.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
$418_295351010571142_55021555_n.jpgWhat do you think this needed I am thinking fill flash?? Just wondering f I am on the right track

Very warm, which is really a matter of style/taste (and I like warmth!), but maybe turn it down just a notch. The rim lighting is really nice! Typically blown portions that aren't super important parts of the photo don't bother me, but here it's really big in the frame, so I might crop some of it out and have the bride fill more space (think portrait orientation).

One other thing, given that a bride wants to look her best on her wedding day... maybe work cloning out some of the arm hair in post.

Is this REALLY the color you were going for? I would have used fill flash or even just a reflector in front if her, but this is over exposed. It almost looks like a 35mm negative that had light leaking in from all around the lens IMO

I don't think it needs any fill.. If anything, it reads a trifle flat already! There's nothing wrong with this that I pick up on right away. There's some post-processing choices that are not quite my thing, but they're clearly conscious choices.

Two things: A vertical orientation and better composition. You've got a perfect leading line in the form of the cattle rack and the pathway, but where do they lead? To the bright white open space at the back where's nothing to see... right PAST the subject. Remember that the human eye is naturally attracted to bright, so even without the leading lines, the viewer is going to go right past the subject to the background.

The exposure isn't bad here; you've got the whites nailed, and the sun is making a nice hairlight, but you've almost cropped off the top of her head and left elbow by pushing her so far frame right. Crop for a portrait aspect and you will have a much stronger image.

I've been edit-happy all day. You're currently set to "not okay to edit," but if you'd like me to take a whack at it let me know (or just change your status lol). We are in moratorium at work, so it's been a long, boring day!

Four big steps over to your right, and a spin of the camera.

OR, the bride taking four big steps over to HER right.

That leading line right out of the frame is killing the shot. She's off to the side, looking wonky-eyed toward the camera. The lighting is okay...I like that soft, ethereal glow that the lighting pattern creates. The focus/sharpness/clarity seems a bit off though. I've actually been in a number of cattle barns like that one. I grew up in farming/ranching country. I "get" the pairing of a bridal dress and a barn. It's a natural.

I've been edit-happy all day. You're currently set to "not okay to edit," but if you'd like me to take a whack at it let me know (or just change your status lol). We are in moratorium at work, so it's been a long, boring day!

Yes please edit! I need to change that status didnt mean for it to be like that

Four big steps over to your right, and a spin of the camera.

OR, the bride taking four big steps over to HER right.

That leading line right out of the frame is killing the shot. She's off to the side, looking wonky-eyed toward the camera. The lighting is okay...I like that soft, ethereal glow that the lighting pattern creates. The focus/sharpness/clarity seems a bit off though. I've actually been in a number of cattle barns like that one. I grew up in farming/ranching country. I "get" the pairing of a bridal dress and a barn. It's a natural.

This is actually her dairy farm :)

Yay! Thanks :) I meant to bring my memory card in to play with some landscapes from last weekend... there's always tomorrow lol

I'll have your edit for you soon!

BTW I did not shoot a wedding this is my friend who wanted to get in her wedding dress for pictures on her dairy farm just before I get any slack on that..... It seemed eevrywhere we stepped in there in order to get the cows in the shot had flare and haze all over it. but she really wanted the cows in the picture. I was just thinking to bring her out more lighting wise what I could do...

$418_295351010571142_55021555_n.jpg

What I did

Crop (obviously, lol): this is cropped at 8x10. I had a hard time because the bride is already so tight within the frame. 5x7 and 4x6 both resulted in losing a lot of elbow, so I settled for 8x10 with less elbow chop.
Color Balance: Bumped up the blues, turned down the greens and reds.
Enhancements: Smoothed the skin on her arms just a bit to hide some of the fine hairs. Added a bit of "glow" to her face as it's competing with the right arm and blown portion to the right hand side. Gave the eyes a bit of contrast and brightened the whites a tiny bit too.

I like it. Anyway you could bring out some darker tones some where to make it less flat. I love the contrast idea. It's cool! I like shoots like this, unique!

View attachment 29088

What I did

Crop (obviously, lol): this is cropped at 8x10. I had a hard time because the bride is already so tight within the frame. 5x7 and 4x6 both resulted in losing a lot of elbow, so I settled for 8x10 with less elbow chop.
Color Balance: Bumped up the blues, turned down the greens and reds.
Enhancements: Smoothed the skin on her arms just a bit to hide some of the fine hairs. Added a bit of "glow" to her face as it's competing with the right arm and blown portion to the right hand side. Gave the eyes a bit of contrast and brightened the whites a tiny bit too.

This definitely makes her stand out more! I am starting to think the lighting I choose is not making my photos look flat but post processing is

There are ways to improve both in camera and in post. Flash helps; used properly it will also help retain the sky.

I'm a fan of the soft, "ethereal" as Derrel called it, light. I don't like a lot of contrast. Neither is wrong, neither is right.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back