What do YOU use?

lucki85

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I am going to be purchasing some new backdrops, but am not really sure what to get. What does everyone use? These will be for portraits. I know some people use velvet (which I am getting black velvet), and seamless paper among other things. What do you perfer and why? Where do you buy from? I am also going to need a backdrop stand. Thanks!

Different things work for different applications.

If you are setting up a stationary 'studio space' and can buy locally...then seamless paper would be a good choice for a lot of stuff. It's relatively inexpensive when you don't have to to ship it. You can make or buy a wall mounting system for it.

Muslin seems to be the fabric of choice for photographers. Prices go from <$50 to several hundred.

With either fabric or paper, you will need to hang/mount it somehow. Two main ways of doing it are with stands or wall mounts. Stands are good if you have to take it out of the studio...but the 'foot print' of most stands, is fairly large, which means you can't get them right up against a wall, which means that you loose space...which could be bad news in a small space.

Of course, there are plenty of DIY ways of mounting anything. It could be as simple as couple hooks or something stuck into the wall or ceiling.

Some studios use a track system for their hanging backdrops. The track is mounted above and then you can move the backdrops in or out like a shower curtain etc.

*edit*
I guess I didn't answer the question. I use bed sheets most often.

I use anything from bedsheets to bare white walls. I do have my eye on some black velvet at a local material store, though.

okay, my husband did make me something but I haven't tried it out yet....Its just a metal bar and he made two metal "hooks" for each end of the bar to sit on. So, it sounds like it will work. I am just wondering how to get the fabric to stay up.....I was thinking about just having it long in the back as well in the front, but with shotting kids, I don't know if they will pull it down.....I guess it sounds like my best bet would be to use fabric with my set up, because I'm not really sure how the paper works? And, I live in a smallish town with maybe 2 photo shops. One is family owned and pretty much just sell equipment and print..I dont think they sell backdrops. And the other is Ritz camera @ the mall...so no luck there. So my in town options are pretty much JoAnn Fabrics, Wal-mart, and Ac Moore is about 45 minutes away. The sheets are a GREAT idea though. I can't believe I hadn't thought of that. I do have 3 backdrops...black, white, and grey. I bought them off of e-bay and they're a weird material. I'm not quite sure I like them. But then again, I've only kind of rigged them up a couple times and not actually on a stand or anything so maybe that will make a difference...

For mounting your backdrops over the bar...you could loop the fabric over and sew it a few inches down...creating a pocket.

Another option would be to punch some grommets into the fabric, then use hooks (or shower curtain rings) to hold it up.

Another option would be to get a couple cheap spring clamps (hardware section) and use those to hold the fabric to the bar.

I am just wondering how to get the fabric to stay up.....

This one is so easy, even a caveman can do it.....

Just go to your local store and pick up a few squeeze clamps, or staple the material to the rod so it can be rolled up, set in a corner, and another rod of rolled up material can be brought out.

EDIT: BM did it to me again.....

This one is so easy, even a caveman can do it.....

Just go to your local store and pick up a few squeeze clamps, or staple the material to the rod so it can be rolled up, set in a corner, and another rod of rolled up material can be brought out.

EDIT: BM did it to me again.....

LOL Yeah I did buy the hooks for shower curtains, but decided I didn't want to do it that way. Anyway, I am going to use the sew method....Sewing is one thing I can actually say I'm good at:lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back