What does "auto" and "manual" mean to you?

On occation I still use my old 400 2.8 on my 1D series bodies and manual focus sports, it takes a little time getting into it, but it works just fine, I grew up doing it. It's not as easy as autofocus, but the lens is sharper than any of my new glass, just more of a challenge.
I actually think after a bit of trial and error I might be able to focus manually for sports better than other things, however for portraits? I can screw it up REALLY WELL!

Auto means that you don't have to know as much about the camera. The company that made the camera are making all the decisions for you. Manual means that you have a lot more power over how the photo looks, but you need to know a lot more about the camera. I prefer manual because I can make the photo look exactly how I want it to.

Manual = "I have a stove and an oven, as well as a fridge and freezer that are filled up. I also have lots of cooking utensils and a fully stocked pantry. Plenty of small appliances, like a blender, mixer, griddle, etc. Lots of spices to boot, and plenty of choices from the wine cellar. So, what sounds good for dinner tonight?"

Auto = "I'm microwaving a TV dinner."

On occation I still use my old 400 2.8 on my 1D series bodies and manual focus sports, it takes a little time getting into it, but it works just fine, I grew up doing it. It's not as easy as autofocus, but the lens is sharper than any of my new glass, just more of a challenge.
I actually think after a bit of trial and error I might be able to focus manually for sports better than other things, however for portraits? I can screw it up REALLY WELL!

Here's a test I grew up with. Sit on the side of the road and try to focus on car licence plates, with them coming towards you.

Oh, dear Lord!
That would be a hilarious day sitting by the road. Might just have to try that.

My Dad used to get other photographers to try it. It is very challenging, especially when shooting with a 200mm or longer lens. Just a word of warning, that would be sit on the sidewalk, no sitting in the middle of the road. You'd be surprised how many idiots are out there.

Nah, thanks, I'm good.

I'm 40 and I wear glasses. Not going to get to learn such reflexes anymore.

I will rather use one of these fast autofocus DSLRs for things like that.

Nah, thanks, I'm good.

I'm 40 and I wear glasses. Not going to get to learn such reflexes anymore.

I will rather use one of these fast autofocus DSLRs for things like that.
Well, I'm over 40... and sometimes I wear my glasses!

[h=2]What does "auto" and "manual" mean to you?[/h]
To me it means two things.

First it means that there are various modes for various photographers to choose from in various situations to achieve or at least attempt to achieve the photograph(s) they want.

Secondly, it means another one of those Chevy/Ford, Canon/Nikon, Ketchup/Mustard, threads that really have little meaning with much debate.

Just my 2 cents.

Actually it is manual, auto and/or preprogrammed using scene and other adjustments and recording them onto a memory or creative choice on your camera dial. Auto and pre-programmed are now covering more variations than ever before. One manual indicated that they would cover any scene that you could possibly run into.

Those of you who wish to get the shot and move on, as well as to spend less time in post would probably be better off pre-programming your OWN auto for the type of scenes that you like to shoot and doing a little extra personal tweeking in post.

skieur

But with face detection auto-focus, you are not likely to be able to manually focus even for sports better or faster than the camera.

skieur

Auto: I want the tiny microchip brain in my camera to make all the exposure decisions for me.
Manual: I want to have full control over the exposure decisions.

Manual="I shall google and search TPF for this topic and read the other 12 million threads that have been posted and beaten to death on it."

Auto="I shall ask about the difference between manual and auto... Again."

For bonus points...

Aperture priority="I shall ask (again) about auto vs manual, but only see half the answers and argue with people."

Shutter priority="I shall get on the auto vs manual thread and make drive-by snarky remarks without adding to the discussion."

Auto mode means the camera sets everything to try and get what it calculates to be the best exposure.
Manual means OM-1. I set everything myself with the help of a light meter.

As for semi-auto modes, like AP or SP that still leaves a lot of control at my discretion; they are more manual to me.

My D7000 has many scene modes that can do all or let me tweak them some. These are more auto to me, and I'm trying to use these to learn more.

Most reactions

Back