What does "auto" and "manual" mean to you?

Auto = The type of gun I want to use when one of these threads pop up.

Manual = A Mexican gentleman.

Auto = car.

Manual = the book I should have read when I got my camera.

MIKE! BAD! You revitalized and old thread. You know better!

This is my personal opinion, were all different so please don't hate!

I believe auto still requires skill. You still need to find a nice picture and make sure everything looks good just the camera does most of the shooting for you.

Manual is a whole lot more fun and requires more skill to me. You can mess with the shot and make it how you want it!

I shoot in manual mode most of the time. And when i shoot auto is when I'm lazy and wished I just brought my old P/S. :)

Amen to that. ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

There is auto, there is semi-auto, and there is manual.

Actually on the most recent cameras there is Auto, Auto+, Programme, Pre-Programmed, Scene mode, Picture mode and Manual.

skieur

Last edited:
The auto/manual views are pretty amusing.:lol:

1. First photographer carries around a ton of camera equipment, often gets accosted by security guards, and sometimes the police. Sets up his tripod, takes his camera and lens out of his case and attaches it, chooses a filter and installs it, frames his shot using manual of course, perhaps brackets his shot, tries another lens, takes another shot, and then eventually puts everything away and goes home to spend lots of time editing his shots on the computer. Question, how many shots did he miss, while he was setting up and taking down his equipment?

2. Second photographer goes out with a 15mm to 50mm macro on his camera and presets his camera to the type of shooting he is doing ie. face detection, high dynamic range, back lighting, handheld low light, etc. He shoots off a bracketed burst, tries a handheld HDR and a handheld panorama. He does more shots in less time than the first photographer and has less processing and editing to do, afterwards.

These are perhaps the 2 extremes, but for pros time is money. There are definitely advantages for some pros to lean toward the second rather than the first. It obviously depends on the type of photography that you do.

skieur

Most reactions

Back