what else i need to get stared???

SuperMiguel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So im new to all this photography thing... My previous camera was my iphone and a 15MP point to shoot camera I just purchased a D7100 the kit that comes with the 18-105 lens, i also purchased 2 32GB sandisk extreme memory (45 ones), and got a case for it i want to mostly take family picures, like at the beach, cruise, party, etc, etc...

So what else do i need? some one recommended an extre lens 50mm f1.8g or 35mm f1.8g... So what you guys think? Anything else i need?

If you're just doing family snapshots, I'd stick with the kit lens & get comfortable with the new camera first - there's always time to buy additional lenses later after you get a feel for what you'd need.

An extra battery! Sticking with the kit lens for now is probably a good idea. That way you have more of an idea of where you feel like you're missing focal length. If you're missing the zoom a lot then perhaps get a zoom lens. If you're like me, you'll want to get even closer to things and there are lenses for that too!

Nice extra battery is a good idea, so no need to get one of those prime lenses?

If you don't want to be absent on the all family photos you should buy a tripod =) And maybe a remote release.

Get a good bag and a comfortable strap if you plan on taking it everywhere.

Get a good cleaning kit together.

Extra batteries are a must.

Flash guns are fun but not necessary right away.

Tripods are very very nice to have.

Sticking with the kit lens is a good idea for now, try and figure what you need before you buy it.

Tripod
Cable release button
Camera bag

Lens and DSLR cleaning kit
Good strap
Good bag
Extra battery

If you find yourself in low-light situations most of the time, feel free to purchase fast lenses such as the 35mm, 50mm, and 85mm f/1.8g. It all depends on what you really need.

50mm 1.8G is a must lens and you can add to that a tele zoom the Nikon 70-300mm VR

First and foremost, read the manual cover to cover. Learn your camera inside and out and learn proper exposure. Then the things listed above.

Lens and DSLR cleaning kit
Good strap
Good bag
Extra battery

1) Any kit better than the other? can you recommend one? (to many of them in amazon)

2) The strap that comes with the camera is no good? which one would you guys recommend??

3) We got this bag: Amazon.com: Manfrotto MB SSC3-1BB AGILE I Sling Bag -Black: Camera & Photo not sure if thats any good...

4) Should i buy a nikon branded battery or something like this: Amazon.com: Wasabi Power Battery (2-Pack, Decoded Chip) and Charger for Nikon EN-EL15 and Nikon 1 V1, D600, D800, D800E, D7000, D7100: Electronics is good enough???

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I really can't see needing an extra battery for chasing the family around the house or beach. I mean the factory battery is good for a 1000 shots? I run around town at night taking long exposures (30sec or longer) with my D7100 all the time which drains battery power and never need a second battery. If you got the extra cash, go for it but if you don't, use that money on good solid comfortable camera strap. Chances are you're going to use that strap more than a spare battery...at least until you start taking 200-300/30sec star trail shots.

When would i use a 50mm 1.8G/35mm 1.8G instead of my current 18-105

Low light situations when a wider aperture is needed.
When a sharp image is necessary to convey your vision.
Bokeh produced by the 50mm is good, this will aid in subject separation.

There's a lot on primes and why they are a great tool all over the internetz

Shoot until you find yourself needing something.

Most reactions

Back